Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

How can I maximize my bandwidth? The last several weeks everything is very very sluggish with connecting, browsing....what's the best steps to get back to normal? I have a 56K modem, win98, use netzero. Tried MTU but not much help.

Thanks.

Inbliss:brush:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stanza,

No I haven't. I usually get an automated response when I email them with a problem. Is there a way for me to do any tweaking?

Inbliss

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Net zero= you get what you pay for
56K= anything from another call to static can effect its prefomance
Maintiance= scandisk, defrag, dump you cookies and tmp files

if you can get cable....worth the rip off prices you pay

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spyware?

If you called me for service, my first guess would be -

- you use the internet a lot
- your machine is loaded with spyware

Get a copy of Ad-Aware - free from Lavasoft and see if it clears up your problems.

- run it with all the default settings.

- you may have to re-install Kazaa, Morpheus, or other phile sharing software.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys. Well first of all, Netzero has been okay to use. this is not an old complaint about them. Something in the last couple of weeks has slowed down everything to a crawl.

I do have ad-aware. Good program. I've cleaned out my cookies. I'm thinking suddenly info is downloading in real big chunks all of a sudden. Clogging up the bandwidth so to speak. It's only been like this in the last couple of weeks and yes maybe there's lots more spyware on my machine than I am aware of.I cleaned out the register of unwanted keys.

Any more ideas out there? I'd love to find out what the culprit is?

I tried to download a file that was only 1.4 MG and after 25 minutes I gave up. Now that has never happened before on such a small file. Where can I look to see where the problem is occurring?

Thanks. Inbliss:brush:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I recommend getting Zone Alarm as a firewall. It will control outbound connections.

Then you can run: netstat -a at a command line. It will show you what ports are open and listening. This may take some time to decipher. You could also look through the processes that are running.

If you want to get really wacky, you could look into getting a protocol analyzer (sniffer) on your machine and capture your connection and take a look at what is going on. A good free one is ethereel. Check out: http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=216

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.