Tech Support banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a newbie to this forum but not as much to XP or linux.

Before I put some kind of deepfreeze, my XP used to be hacked a lot, scrambling screen settings and then on the usenet forums I went to, with sarcastic posts. Thus, I suspect it is the spooks. There are racist groups and corporations who have sadistic people targeting others in their maddog madness.

After the deepfreeze, this stopped considerably because boot would restore everything. I also adopted a protocol of dd ing the small partition of the OS and separated it from data in a thaw partition. Their cost-benefit ratio was too poor. I could dd very fast or reboot and even after BSOD, things started out not that bad.

As soon as this pandemic started, my XP's frequency of crash went down a lot. The way it fails is that after about 2 months, the sound stops and I cannot hear sound. I suspect the driver is uninstalled. Yesterday night, there was some attack on some backdoors inside Intel CPU as the screen went black a few times and then it came back, no BSOD. It has also improved since I put Solid-State disk for the OS rather than magnetic as there were too many recursive calls in that one from the moving of the head when an older non-noise cancelling HD was used.

So, I have done diagnostics. on this XP Service Pack 3.

Control Panel > Sound and Audio Device Properties > Sound Hardware Test Wizard >
Your Sound Hardware Cannot Play Sounds.

What can I do to avoid booting if I can install the driver somehow?

·
Registered
40,971 Posts
As you know, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. Many Browsers will not work in XP now, I am surprised you can get online at all! If your computer is getting hacked a lot, that should be enough for you to dump XP or stay offline with it.
As for your audio, What is the make and model# of your computer or Motherboard?
Did the Audio ever work? If it worked at one point, but doesn't now, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals and look for Onboard Audio, if it is Disabled, using your arrow and Enter key, Enable it, Save and Exit. In Windows, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Are there Yellow marks next to any device? Is your Audio device listed? If a yellow flag, then that means it needs a driver. Go to your computer or motherboard manufacturer, type in your model# and download the Sound driver for your model #
Once you have your computer running great and the audio working well, create an Image file of your system using Macrium Reflect or your favorite Clone software. Save the image to a USB HDD, in case the computer HDD fails. If you get hacked or the sound quits, you can easily restore the image. Much like deepfreeze but the image file can be updated as changes occur on your computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts