Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in and Radeon software and I did the auto overclock but my screen went black so I just reset my pc and everything seemed fine but when I was in the menus of all my games the overlay said I was using about 100-110 watts in the menus but when I load into a game it drops to 50-65 watts and the FPS it much lower than when I first built my pc. I’ve tried a fresh install of windows and swapping GPUs but nothing seems to work

·
288 Posts
Nathan welcome to TSF. What GPU did you swap to? Can you try to take your system back as close as you can both hardware and software wise to the state it was in before this started? Additionally if you can, what would be a more full picture of your hardware specifications?

*Mainboard/ CPU ( exact motherboard model ~ CPU)

*GPU (brand- model)

*PSU (power supply brand/ wattage/exact model)

*Other information - motherboard BIOS you're using / AMD GPU drivers you used when you attempted the auto-OC / Your Windows 10 build (2004 is current)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nathan welcome to TSF. What GPU did you swap to? Can you try to take your system back as close as you can both hardware and software wise to the state it was in before this started? Additionally if you can, what would be a more full picture of your hardware specifications?

*Mainboard/ CPU ( exact motherboard model ~ CPU)

*GPU (brand- model)

*PSU (power supply brand/ wattage/exact model)

*Other information - motherboard BIOS you're using / AMD GPU drivers you used when you attempted the auto-OC / Your Windows 10 build (2004 is current)
I swapped it with another rx 570 because I’m building another pc

motherboard:gigabyte b360m ds3h

cpu:i3-9100f

original gpu:rx 570 4gb Radeon strix

swapped gpu:xfx rx 570 4gb

psu: thermaltake smart 430w 80plus

Ram:8gb viper patriot 2666mhz

amd driver:20.7.2

When I attempted oc:20.7.2

bios: ver.f14

I built this computer only a few months ago too.

·
288 Posts
Thanks for that information it helps techs here with helping you. One thing I see is a 430w Tt smart power supply. I build all the time and I know tech really well that 430w PSU is very marginal power-wise for an RX570-RX580. That Tt PSU is barely a bronze model you really need a decent to high quality gold 500-550w+ power supply (you can get away with a 520w gold like the Seasonic similar) to run an RX570-580-590 with no issues. Have you tried another power supply?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No because it supplied my graphics card fine and still does when I run bench marks or are in game menus but right when I load into a game it drops 30 watts and I’ve never had this problem with this system before

·
288 Posts
No because it supplied my graphics card fine and still does when I run bench marks or are in game menus but right when I load into a game it drops 30 watts and I’ve never had this problem with this system before
That's the thing it can run some things just fine but others not fine. In my opinion it would be wise to try another power supply since you have already tried the other GPU with same system. It would also be important to note when the gaming lag/FPS drop started right? Meaning did it just one day start this whereas before it was fine?

You have 2 RX 570's right? and you have tried both RX570's in that system. Same result. Two things I would do right now I would try an nvidia GPU with the same config you have now if you can find, or if you have or can borrow one. If it runs fine then you have your answer it's the PSU or the GPU's. Bear with me. Next try a new power supply (lets say 600w+ gold) with the same two AMD GPU's see if you have the same issue. My money is on the 430w power supply not being completely stable enough with consistent clean power delivery to handle your AMD GPU's. That's why you do the above procedures to rule out parts. What's I'm saying is that the likely hood of two bad RX570's is pretty remote whereas the likely hood of your power delivery not being good enough sounds plausible.

There are programs to help you monitor power supply voltages and you can do it while idle and while you game. Your Gigabyte mobo has a program to use (app) to monitor that and you can also do it with HWMonitor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks so much for the help I’ll pop in another more powerful psu to see if that fixes it

·
288 Posts
Sure anytime, see if you can get a good quality 650w that way you are very sure to cover those GPU's and even upgrade to a better GPU in the future and not worry. There is no guarantee per-say it will solve the issue but my money is on it. If not at least you know it's not a PSU issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts