Tech Support banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my desktop files suddenly disappeared and I tried to find in file explorer but failed to open. I save at desktop area instead of documents part. May I ask what's wrong with my files? Why cannot open? I have lots of important documents inside. Please help me, thank you.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,346 Posts
:confused: If you delete the program or data file that a shortcut was pointing to, the shortcut is now broken and can no longer work.

A Windows shortcut is simply an icon that points to something, like a program or data file. Shortcuts can be placed on the desktop or stored in other folders, and clicking a shortcut is the same as clicking the original file. Deleting a shortcut does not remove the original file. However, if you delete the program or data file the shortcut was pointing to, the shortcut is now broken and can no longer work.

·
Premium Member
42,042 Posts
As stated. This file is not on the Desktop, only the shortcut to the file which is located on another drive or folder . this is telling you the shortcut that points to this file, is not working. Either the file has been moved or there is a problem with actual folder or drive that the file is located on. Do a Search for the file.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Try Recuva to look for possible deleted files if recoverible recover to other Media like a thumb drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, my desktop files suddenly disappeared and I tried to find in file explorer but failed to open.
If you are unable to open explorer I don't know how you can fix the shortcut issue.
To create a shortcut you have to locate the folder that you wish to shortcut to, right click and send it to the desktop.
If you cannot open explorer you cannot complete the task.
So do you need help getting explorer back?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts