Tech Support Forum banner

sudden massive lag

3018 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  AndrewCalder
until recently my internet has been fine, especially for playing online games. Now though my ping is extremly high on almost any game, and is virtually unplayable. Game servers that were fine before now have atleast 400+ ping and BF2 is unplayable because of this. my ping in servers seems to spike at times, going from 70-700 in a matter of seconds.

I don't have wireless, it's Rogers highspeed cable and the speed is around 1.6 mbps. I tried unplugging for a few minutes but it didn't help me, and i'm not sharing the connection with other computers.

Anyone know what's up?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Go to testmy.net and run the SmarTests for Download and Upload, and then post the results.

I can tell you that I have been having a bit of grief myself with Rogers Highspeed recently. If you live on the west coast, I can say that problems like this have been happening because massive storms as of late have wrecked havoc. In anycase, run the tests above (and say if you're on the west coast or not) to isolate any problems.
Your connection is: 1077 Kbps or 1.1 Mbps
You downloaded at: 131 kB/s
You are running: 19 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 7.82 second(s)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 30.08 % of your hosts average (rogers.com)

This is downloading, with the largest file.

--------------------------------
This is uploading
Your connection is: 109 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps
You uploaded at: 13 kB/s
You are running: 2 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 78.77 second(s)
Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 30.97 % of your hosts average (rogers.com)
This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 29.047 seconds to complete

something must be wrong, this is using highspeed :/ BTW I live in Southern ont.
See less See more
Does this only happen at certain times, like peak hours? Keep in mind that Rogers Highspeed uses broadband cable, which is a shared connection. Depending on the number of people using it in your area at the time, your DL/UL speeds will fluctuate.

In anycase, those rates are very low. Give Rogers a ring and ask them to run a line and signal test - it's possible your signal down their line is either weak or noisy.
Well I am no computer wiz but I have been living with this damn Rogers-Lagspike.

The computer wiz in my house told me that he went to multiple seminars, trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

Well it turns out that although Rogers has great upload speed, the company does not permit 'clients' A.K.A. cattle to run their own servers off the source.

So the lagspike is an artificial happening, created by Rogers to stunt anybody's servers. However their are legal boundaries the corporation cannot cross, due to privacy, so they cannot officially be sure of who is running the servers.

So they bomb an area with these spikes, maybe entirely unsuccessfully, rather than finding a better way.

This may be in lamen terms for this thread, so feel free to correct me, or shed extra light.
See less See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.