Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody...I am posting this because I feel good about the successful installation of Redhat Linux 8.0 on one of my computers. I had just a couple of problems which were overcame thanks to good support. About halfway through the "graphical" installation the computer froze up...I read somewhere to try again using the "text" installation...THAT WORKED. The second problem was figuring out the bootup hanging of "bringing up interface eth0". Each time it hung I just pressed the ENTER key a couple of times and it reported FAILED and then continued with boot up. I knew it had something to do with my ethernet card, duh, eth0.....please know this, I have an ATI Rage 16mb video card, ESS1869 sound card and Znyx 10T ethernet card installed on this computer. I did NOTHING in assisting Linux to find, configure all these cards. Well, I figured the hangup during the eth0 had to be because I hadn't "told" the ethernet card what it's purpose is....is that right? Anyhow, my main computer is connected to the internet via AOL Plus Satellite and I have the registered version of a internet sharing program called PPPshar installed. It didn't have instructions on using the Mozilla browser so I configured the Mozilla browser myself basically the same way I have done with Internet Explorer. After bringing Mozilla up, I clicked on EDIT, then PREFERENCES, then on the left under CATEGORY I clicked on ADVANCED then HTTP Networking and entered in the correct info...restarted Linux, the "bringing up interface eth0" reported OK..I started PPPshar on my main computer then clicked on Mozilla on the Linux computer and BOOM, I am on the Internet.....I know that this post is long but I just want to let everybody know how appreciative I am of all the help and patience that has been shown.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First of All a Heartly Congratulations to you Klen.

Also thanks for providing that article which can be used as a knowledgebase by the newbie like me in the Linux world.

:bandit: :angel:

Regards,

Ramjeet

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
kleankutken, congrats to you !!!!!
I've added RedHat Linux to my laptop recently too....its a part of my home network and I even got it to go through win98 for internet access...It was easier to setup network on redhat than on windoze...who knew..windo$ and Linux ...hhehehehehe :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.