Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupid Desktop bar won't go away

6K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  blckwaterpark 
#1 ·
How can I get this bar on the left to go away? I tryed right clicking but it didn't work.

Thank you

#3 ·
Ok then

I will explain this.

It has 3 catagories.

Folder Tasks
-Make a new folder
-Share this folder

Other Places
-My Documents
-Shared Documents
-My Network Places

Details
-Desktop

It looks like the bar on the left when you go to My Computer and click the "Up" button to go to the desktop.

#4 ·
Hmm... I'm not totaly sure if this is what you are describing, but it sounds like you want the "classic" start menu look, correct?

If so, go to:
start - settings - control panel
Under control panel find
Taskbar & Start menu
You will want to click on the second tab, should be start menu. Click on classic startbar then say apply and ok, and it should be changed for you.

#7 ·
It has not title. I also want to clarify the "object' runs vertical, run up the whole left side of the screen and is about 2.5 inches left right on 1024 by 768 resolution.

It looks like the bar on the left when you go to My Computer only on the desktop.

#8 ·
i'll try to get the same bar that you have

look at the pic--is that the bar you see?

if not, press ctrl-shift-print screen and paste it to paint, then upload it in your post

i want to get the same bar that you have so i can see how to get it away

Attachments

#11 ·
it said you exceeded your bandwidth and that i have to wait till an hour until it is restored:D

and if you didn't guess, the picture didn't work. make sure you are on a blank desktop, click the bar that doesn't go away, and then do the ctrl, alt, prtscrn thing.

did you see a picture in paint? cause i didn't...

#14 ·
Hmm... Thats a good one. I found something that may or may not help. Worth a shot atleast, right?

Go to your display settings ( start - settings - control panel - display) and look under the Desktop tab and under Customize Desktop. what do you have there check marked if anything?

#17 ·
yea, try the active desktop thing, but if that doesn't work, see if you can like resize it or move it. you probably can't, but that's one of my ideas.

did you try the task manager (crtl alt del\right click start,click task manager) and see if anything relating to my computer is open?

also, alot of my problems are because of internet explorer. if you don't have an internet explorer window opened, go to task manager, and close all of the "iexplorer.exe's". DON'T CLICK EXPLORER ON ACCIDENT! :D (don't know what happens, but it probably sucks)

wouldn't your computer just restart if you closed explorer?

and i have another idea that just came to me. if all (ALL) else fails, make a copy of your user settings and desktop icons (or, if you don't mind losing some of your stuff), and make a new user name. i did that because something was wrong (don't remember what), and it worked.

#23 ·
I just reistered with this tech forum thing, but anyways ...i had this bar for years and didnt know how to get rid of it and this little tool fixed it, its all gone and i can now actually move things on my desktop, cuz it doesnt let you when the bar is present. And i think the cause of this is Fix It program, because when u repair registry problems all it does is delete the so called "bad" strings or whatever, so it think its the thing that caused it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.