Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get this new card I bought to run in a Crossfire setup for 2 days now. Here's my stats and story from another forum who hasn't been any help...

Motherboard: Sapphire ATI Crossfire Xpress 3200 PC-A9RD580Adv
CPU: AMD Athalon 64 4000+ @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 1 gig of Corsair XMS PC3200 in 1 stick
Video Card1(original): Sapphire Radeon X1600XT 256MB
Video Card2(new): same as above only Dual DVI
PSU: Antec Smart Power SP-500 500 Watt PSU
Monitor: DB15 VGA
Hard drive1: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATA
Hard drive2: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA
Optical Drives: ASUS DVD Burner
Additional PCI cards: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS
Number of fans present: 2PSU, 1 CPU, 2 80mm case, side duct, and 3 fans per video card.
Video Card Drivers in Used: Latest drivers from ATI with the Catalyst Control Center

Okay, so I've been running this setup for a while with just 1 video card, and I've been running that card on the motherboard's Slave PCI-E slot because it's less cramped that way.

I just bought another video card, which is the same model as my old one. The only difference I noticed is that it has 2 DVI ports instead of a VGA and DVI like my old one. Which isn't a big deal because the card came with 2 adapters.

I also bought a Kingwin aftermarket heatsink which is massive with heat pipes and 3 50mm fans on each card. I have one for the original card that I have been running for a long time. So I can pretty much rule out any heat issues.

I installed the heatsink, then installed the new card into my computer's Master PCI-Express slot, booted up and kept the monitor plugged into my original card's VGA slot. I had to switch to the Master card because I wouldn't get a display. I reinstalled fresh drivers from ATI then activated Crossfire in the Catalyst Control Center. Then I turned on Battlefield 2 to test it out. It ran great for about 5 minutes then I got a hard lock with the red or blue vertical lines across my screen. I rebooted and was getting severe distortion and artifacts from the first visible screen during boot. I took the card out, and even my sound card to make sure that's not causing interference, so I'm running on my onboard audio. I just switched the cards, keeping my monitor plugged into the Master card which is now my old card, so the Dual DVI card is in the Slave position.

I just tried activating Crossfire again, but I got this error message.

ATI Stretched Desktop Warning
Crossfire cannot be enabled because some 3D applications are running, or the interconnect cable is not connected, or the motherboard has no communication channels between PCI-Express slots.

Do I have something setup wrong? I looked up a chart that explained the use of Master Edition cards and dongle cables but my card supposedly doesn't need either. How can I get this setup to work? Sorry about the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update

I spent last night reformatting my computer with my old card in the Master slot, the new card in the Slave, and my monitor plugged into the Master.

I put the Creative sound card in there too.

Everything worked fine while installing windows updates and mobo drivers, then as soon as I installed the Catalyst Control Center it was unable to reboot. It just froze at the Windows loading screen. No artifacts, no lines, no weird sounds, just a freeze.

Any ideas? I'm about to either shoot the computer or myself. I havn't decided yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldn't find anything in the BIOS, and I know it doesn't use the dongle. It seems that the card was defective. I tried installing just the new card into my system and I got no signal at all. Look like I'll have to RMA it.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You have to have a card that is the master card. It should say it is capable of being a master card in a crossfire setup. Second, you enable crossfire in the Catalyst Control Center.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I need a master card. On sapphire's website I read that the X1600 series doesn't need a master card, just 2 of the same series.

Unless you're saying the regular card needs to be set as a master. Elaborate please :grin:

I still havn't mailed the card off, maybe I'll give it another try tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
My mistake, the X1600's don't need a master card, it is just the X1800's and X1900's. But anyway, to enable crossfire on those cards, make sure to install the CCC and enable it in there. Just a note, for the X1600 series of cards, you are not using the Y-cable, since the PCIe interface is used to connect the cards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.