Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was sent over here from the "Hijack This Help" forum by TetonBob. I'm having problems getting my computer to startup without freezing. Bob has concluded that all of my logs are clean and he doesn't think a virus is causing this so he thought you guys might be able to help.

Basically the only way I can get my computer through startup is to constantly hit the CTRL-ALT-DLT combo while it's starting up and hitting "end task" on Rundll32 every time I see it, which is usually 3 - 4 times during the process. It also gets stuck occassionally on Hpmon05 which has to do with my HP printer. There's a lot of stuff listed in the task manager during startup, but when I do the msconfig and try to clean off the start up phase it always puts me back to "selective startup" even when I had chosed "normal startup" before I cleaned it off.

Any idea what's causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Lucy

P

·
0 Posts
Hello,

Lets organize the start up a bit. http://www.acelogix.com/ download and install ace utilities. Create a system restore point. Clean up junk files and clean up the registry. Go to start up manager. When you click on an entry it gives a brief explanation of the start up item. Remove the ones you dont need. You can also go to http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html and type the entries and see how necessary they are for your start up. This will fasten up the start up a bit.

But.. I think you will have to do a repair installation of your OS. Before giving instructions on the repair installation lets see how the system acts. Uninstallating the printer drivers and software might be helpful.

Tell us how your start up is now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello again,

I did everything you said and it does seem to start up much better. I've restarted it three times so far and have had no problems, although it's still a bit slow. I did notice during the start up it kept saying "matcli" at the task bar and I did a little research on it. Apparently it gets installed with some devices such as my HP printer and it gathers data like your name, address, e-mail, etc. It's not classified as spyware because they apparently use the information if you need support with that device. I removed the "hp instant support" and just got rid of it because they also said it can cause your system to freeze. I also came across "SSDPSRV" in my registry and did a little research on this. Do you know much about it? It's used by Microsoft for various "plug and play" devices. Do I need it to use my printer or digital camera, etc? I do use one of my USB ports for about three different things (printer, digital camera, CD burner)... do you think this is causing any problems? Well, all in all it seems to be much better and I thank you for your help. Let me know if you have any other thoughts about the rest I mentioned.

Thanks much,

Lucy

P

·
0 Posts
http://castlecops.com/s3503-SSDPSRV.html

here SSDPSRV is listed as not required. So wouldnt be much of a loss for you if you remove. I wouldnt worry about it. You should not lose functionality.

Now i would remove all hp products and reinstall them. During reinstallation pls make sure that you dont have any other program open and running. Just the installation. Hp printer drivers are very sensitive. It will cause a problem if you are running an explorer window or any program which has the print function. After the reinstallation please do a defragmantation. ( my computer right click on HD properties tools and defragment ) This will tidy your system and sopposedly will be a little bit more smooth running. Malware and installing/uninstalling files might leave a mess behind.

Let us know if it speed up more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.