Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased an HP All-In-One computer. Turned it on today, it is in S-Mode (evil by Microsoft). Tried instructions: Update>Activation>Go to Store. Cannot go to store, the window flashes ½ sec then disappears. Tried to reset Store, does not help. Further instructions say to use Powershell, Powershell does not work in S-Mode.

Setting this up for a friend. Need to install the software he knows how to use such as Vivaldi and Irfanview.

There is absolutely no personal data on the PC, I can reset if it can be reset out of S-Mode to Home Edition. If not, I return to HP. Please help.

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
From the taskbar, double click the Microsoft Store Icon. Select More ... > Downloads and updates > Get updates. Install available updates, including Microsoft Store version 11906.1001.24.0 (or later

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello spunk.funk
I have no Microsoft Store icon on taskbar. My taskbar essentially does not work. I cannot type in the search bar. Not only that, I can't search in File Explorer and I have no PowerShell.

This morning I updated EVERYTHING on this computer which had many updates pending. It is fully updated to 21H2. Now the bad news, Windows Store still will not run. I ran wsreset with resulting error message

ms-windows-storePurgeCaches
The app didn't start.

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
Open a Command Prompt as Admin, Type or copy and paste this into the prompt
DISM /Online /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RestoreHealth and press Enter. When that is done, type
SFC /scannow and press Enter. This will replace and missing Sytem files.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not even have command prompt: "For security and performance, this mode of Windows only runs Microsoft-verified apps".

Yes, even the command prompt. Isn't that appalling!

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
On another computer, download Windows 10 ISO image and burn it to a USB Flash Drive with the Media Creation Tool on the same page. Insert it into the HP AIO, Restart the computer continuously pressing F9 or the ESC key. Which will load the Boot Choice Menu. Choose the Flash Drive as the first boot device to boot from. Choose your Language. Here you can choose Repair Your Computer then Advanced if you want to try and repair your computer or you can choose Custom Install and in Where to Install Windows, Delete All Partitions until the drive is Unallocated Space, then press Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install. That should load Home version. If it comes up with S Mode again, you then should have the Store and can move it out of S Mode.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ultimate solution: Reinstall Windows. I've been hearing that for 23 years. The dumbfounding thing about this, it is an out-of-the box, brand new HP computer. Well, if that's the final solution then I'm returning this piece of junk. How could HP and Microsoft collude to provide me with a non-working computer--just musing.

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
It should work out of the box. If not please take it back. Personally, I would get a refund or upgrade to a Desktop and Monitor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello spunk.funk
Throughout all this, I never called HP because of past experience with "24/7 Help". Today I called and what a refreshing difference.

The HP now boots up into Blue Screen of Death so the agent walked me through several hardware tests (all ok). HP will send me a "repair kit" that will do a clean reinstall which is, I suspect, your instructions of 18 hours ago. Thanks spunk.funk. Happy Thanksgiving (if you are an American).

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
Thank You! I am an American, you can tell what country everyone is from by the flag that is placed under our User Names in this forum.
You still should not have to "Fix" a new computer. It should work out of the box, and if it doesn't, you should take it back to the store your bought it from and they should replace it for free. I would take back the AIO and get a Desktop and Monitor, but that's just me.
If you have had the computer for more the 30 days, then you would have to go thru HP. I am sure their "Repair Kit" will fix the issue. If not, you can box it up and send it back to the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts