Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a new Nexxus CPU fan/heatsink on my Athlon 1.7XP processor that is seated in a MSI K7T266 Pro motherboard. I have verified that CPU power is connected to the CFAN1 on the mobo and when I turn on the power supply and then power on PC, it is in fact running at proper speed. But when I look at the monitor all I see is the vga post and then CPU Fan isn't running, shutdown now? Y/N. When I select NO I get no keyboard response.
I have already tried clearing the CMOS jumper, removed the battery and re-inserted it, even switching the CPU fan power to the PSFAN1 connector on the motherboard (because it isn't in use due to my Coolmax Fanless PS).
Could replacing the CMOS battery with a new one be a possible solution?
Any comments/help I would appreciate!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
even switching the CPU fan power to the PSFAN1 connector on the motherboard
Did you try plugging your old fan into the CFAN1 connector at same time new one is plugged into PSFAN1 to check if you still get the message? If no message with old fan connected then it would be a sensor problem with the new fan.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,
After soome thought i have noticed that you may have not updated your BIOS. http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp. Is this the latest version you have?
2. If it is then check to see if you have a low speed fan as this bios has trouble identifying low RPM fans by the looks of it.
I cant find any info on your fan specs so post back if required.
3. I noticed that the no keyboard attached error. So i assume you have a USB keyboard. If so check Bios to see if stop on all error or keyboard error is active and ensure usb support is on as well. Change back to a PS2 if able to verify its the USB bus thats down and not able to activate as it is not yet checked/activated by the bios in its list of processes.
4. if running PS2 already then take off the Nexuss and replace with the old one to check that there was no damage to the MOBO when the nexus went on. Am i correct the seating for this is at the corner of the MOBO?, if so then this could have allowed arcing if it wasn't seated properly in the first instance. If MOBO running fine with old configuration then reseat the new fan again. give it a PS2 K/B ($5 for a no-name branded one here is Australia) and set the Bios with all the new details , after you have upgraded of coarse.

P.S the Cmos battery will not fix your problem. If it did not hold a charge then it would be identified in the POST.

Email if required
Good Luck
Golith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.