Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I had a trojan or something cause my computer kept getting worse. I tried several scanning programs but none of them cleared it up completely.

Anyway, now I can't even get past the windows loading screen, and if I try to log in through safemode, I get stuck at the screen that says "SyS.multidisk....." or something.

Is there any way that I can log in dos mode or something and completely wipe my system clean and reinstall windows xp? I don't have the disk, it came with windows XP already on it. I don't care if I lose all my files, I just want a working computer again, free of any trojans or anything.

So, can I somehow log in dos mode or something (I don't even know how to do that), wipe everything clean, including whatever virus screwed up my comp, and reinstall windows XP without the disk? I'm assuming I have a copy of windows XP saved on my hard drive or something, cause my computer came with windows XP already installed and they didn't give me a disk.

Thanks so much for the help, I hope I can get my computer working again.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hello kultivater, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

If the data is not important to you, have you the following items handy?...

1: The original Motherboard Drivers CD
2: A Windows® XP SP2-CD (or access to borrow one)
3: The Windows® Product Key that came with the computer.

Once you have these, we can give you a step-by-step guide to wiping your HDD and reinstalling the Operating System (Windows® XP) on your computer...if that's what you really want to do

Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply.

The computer is only about a year old, a Dell XPS 400. It came fully setup without any disks, and I don't know where to find the windows product key. Is there any way to do this still?

·
11,900 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

The computer is only about a year old, a Dell XPS 400.
Contact Dell™ and ask them "What happened to my Discs?" They should supply you with a set of 'Recovery Discs' with the computer when you purchased it.

It came fully setup without any disks, and I don't know where to find the windows product key.
On the side/rear/top of the case there will be a yellowish sticker with the Microsoft® Logo on it, below the Logo will be a series of Numbers and Letters that look like this...
xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
This is the Product Key.

Is there any way to do this still?

Without a Windows® XP CD you're pretty well history....The CD is critical for the repair/reinstallation to succeed.
Kind Regards,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I burned the newest version, 4.1.1. of Ultimate Boot CD and used it, but I don't really know where to begin now.

The UBCD anti-virus software has a date like 2007 next to it, is that even updated enough to get rid of modern viruses?

How would I use UBCD to clean this crap up? Like I said, I don't even care if I lose all my files, I don't really have anything important on that computer, but I don't have a Windows XP disk or any disks for that matter because it didn't come with any.

Or is there some other way to fix this damn computer? What are my options? I'm open to just about anything. I really don't feel like buying a windows xp disk or paying a tech guy

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But it's legal to borrow a disk? I mean, the computer came with windows XP installed, they should've sent the damn disk too.

It's not like I'm going to burn a ton of disks and sell them (is that even possible? don't you need a CD key?) I would only be using it on a computer that ALREADY HAD windows XP installed...

·
11,900 Posts
Understood; however, Microsoft® frown upon downloaded CD's, because the majority of them are 'pirated' copies that will not pass validation.
Borrowing a legitimate CD will not have any adverse effects with validation, as you will be using your Product Key.

A couple of questions...

1: Who manufactured the computer?
2: How old is this computer?
3: Is it still under any warranty from the manufacturer?

Regards,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.