Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help....

I have recently bought a Packard Bell laptap and have been using it for making music and watching dvds.

Until recently the DVDS have played fine however they now skip very slightly and the sound is stretched. Its hard to describe but the "sppppeaach seeems tooooo draaaaaggggg onnnn likkkkee thiiiiissss"

I had installed a driver on the laptop for a usb/midi keyboard but this problem only occurered a few days after doing so. the driver was from the manufactures website who make the keyboard so don't think its anything to do with this.

I have since tried to restore the computer to an early date but it always comes back with a message saying it "could not restore to this point"

Does anyone have any solutions to this sound problem? any suggestions will be greatly apprieciated.

Regards

Ross

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi Ross,

Check the CPU usage in task manager when this lag is occurring. If it is 100%, then look at what process is eating up the CPU usage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've chekced the CPU and it never gets close to 100%.

The CPU does however fluctuate when idle up to 30% and there are 50 "running processes" (not applications) running in the background. Is this normal?

I have run a disk clean up and virus scan and the problem with the sound is still happening. It sounds like its either skipping or "draaaaaagggggiinnnggg"

Has anyone ever come across this problem before?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Try restoring to a point a day or two before the one you tried and see if it works. If you haven't made any other system changes, then I guess it would have something to do with that MIDI driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've tried restoring it but it won't restore to ANY point. it shuts down but comes back with a message saying "system cannot restore to that point"

i think it must be a conflict with the driver i have installed but even unistalling it has no effect on the problem.

there is an option to restore it to the stage it was at when i bought it - is this worth doing?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
There is a way you can restore it to the factory state, but it is not time for that yet. Try uninstalling the driver in Add/Remove programs, and if it is not there, remove it in device manager.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did try this and there was no improvement to the sound.

could it be that there is a conflict between the various dvd programs on the system (it came with power dvd, media player and windows media centre)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.