Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system has just been cleaned in the HJT forum, and am still doing some cleanup stuff.
In the midst of this I discovered a couple of word docs
on my desktop that are similiar to word docs I have in my documents- That just appeared!
such as -- ~$dyMacbeth.txt When I open it this is what it looks like-

DD D D U n k n o w n

This didn't actually copy correctly there are lots of little boxes between the words.

There are a few of these on my desktop and upon going into my documents am finding more?????
ANy help would be deeply appreciated...http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/1-smile.gif
:smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is normal. Temporary Word docs are created when you open the original Word doc. Usually you don't see these because they are hidden by default, and apparently you have the hidden files visible on your computer, perhaps because you were just being helped with the removal of malware and often you need to see hidden files for this purpose.

Re-hide your hidden and system files so they cannot be accidentally deleted or tampered with in the future.
  • Click Start
  • Click My Computer
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
  • Select the View tab
  • Under the "Hidden files and folders" heading, select Do not show hidden files and folders
  • Check the Hide file extensions for known file types
  • Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just did that as reccommended by tech support of the tech support forum. Another problem I am encountering is: When I went to do a security update as recommended by TSF (security update KB912919) it was recommended that I back up my system before installing, which I attempted and got a window saying:
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 1/6/2007 at 4:58 PM"

Backup Status
The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was aborted.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.
So at this point I have the software update window open _I wrote to TSF and they said this was an issue I should ask you about- should I just go ahead and install without backing up the system?
Thanks

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
42,836 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.