Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built my new machine and fixed a problem with the OS installation and since fixing the problem I now experiencing strange behaviour with the system.

1. Every so often the machine will just crash for no reason, no BSOD is displayed the only sign that the machine knows something went wrong is a blunt error report message stating that the system just suffered a critical system fault.

2. I tried to update the system to SP3 through windows update; I clicked turn off, the system then set about installing 33 updates. Upon reboot the system then started a CHKDSK scan; as I watched it there seemed to be a lot of deleting of corrupt files going on, along with reuniting orphaned files. The system will now no longer boot properly, it gets to the blank screen after the windows loading logo disappears and then restarts, it continues to do this until I turn off the machine manually.

This is a bit of a long winded problem but any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Boot into Safe Mode Command Prompt and type: chkdsk /R type a Y to run check disk on next boot. Restart computer. If Check Disk does not fix it then start again at the command prompt and type in SFC /Scannow. Put your Windows disc in and it will copy and files that Windows needs from your Windows CD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The system still won’t boot, I can’t access the boot options menu as in whether to boot in safe mode etc

I used the XP CD to enter the recovery console and was able to run a chkdsk but this still didn’t solve the problem

Any more suggestions?

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage