Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, computer was working fine. Powered down normally. Today, tried to turn it on and nothing happened. Disconnected everything from the box, and brought it elsewhere to test. Determined that power supply had failed. Acquired and installed new power supply with more power than previous model. Booted up no problem.
Now, I can't access any USB devices. (Asus P4PE mobo.) Device manager lists all USB roots, hubs and ports as functioning normally. Unchecked box thus disallowing computer to turn off USB ports to save power. I can see a green light on my USB cardreader which derives all its power from USB. Scanner, cardreader, Palm hotsync, external HDD, jump drive--all don't work.
I have uninstalled and allowed windows to reinstall drivers.
Have attached extra 4 pin power to mobo, and have verified that all plugs are powered on new supply. Have double checked that cables are actually plugged in.
I am really stumped. Short of a reinstall, which may not solve the problem, I don't know what to do.

I suspect that something happened during either the power supply failure, or during reinstallation that either fried or messed up USBs.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You are probably right. When the psu fails all kinds of whacky things
happen. May have not been the immediate failure, but in time a weak
or insuffcient power supply will wear on parts. You may try looking
in bios making sure usb is on and set to high speed. Wouldnt hurt
to go over bios, or even clear bios and redo settings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are all the USB devices still unplugged? I've seen a faulty scanner stop all over USB ports working when it was plugged in.

The PSU failing has quite probably damaged the motherboard though, it's a pretty common problem. You can always buy a 4 USB port PCI card, and if that's not enough ports buy two or use a hub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, sometimes, though there is great satisfaction in it, struggling to find a fix for a problem that can be solved with a $15 adapter just isn't worth it! So, I just ordered a PCI 6 port USB 2.0 adapter, and we will see. Presumably that will solve the problem.
(I thought I would try removing all USB drivers. Then I ran Safe Mode and uninstalled all USB devices and hubs. I turned off the comp and waited for 30 minutes with the power cord unplugged. Well, no dice. Oh well.)
Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.