Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all text on xp including welcome screen, desktop and dialog boxes has been replaced by strange symbols - boxes, rectangles, circles. Anyone know the fix?

It happened after I downloaded Netscape because IE had ceased to be available, I then got a series of blue screens which went away after I ran chkdsk/f.

The difficulty is that I cannot read the text to move around programs and dialog boxes to research possible fixes.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Fonts! Somehow, your fonts file has been deletedor otherwise made unavailable.

Been there, done that, got the teeshirt.

Copy a fonts folder from another XP machine and install it on yours. Make a test run on the other machine, without completing the installation, of course, so that, if you run into something that needs to be selected (which you cannot read), you will know which button to push.

I solved my, thanks to Waltside, who emailed a W2K font folder to me, in just the way I have described.

(I wonder if this isn't why IE became "unavailable").

Let us know what help you need in this!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no other xp box to hand,

Manty thanks for reply

have an ME box on ICS which still works fine amazingly.

Could I use its font file and I am not sure how...

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is a folder in the systemroot directory called fonts. (ie c:\windows\fonts)

Personally I wouldn't recommend it for a permanent solution because all of the fonts might not be there or they may be older versions but if you are desparate it may work.

~GICodeWarrior

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
managed to track fonts file down

I've copied the fonts file contents from ME to XP machines ok, but for one called 'desktop.ini' which it said was damaged or absent. Needless to say, the problem is still present...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hurray

tried copying the fonts over again and this time it appears to have worked!

Hope its permanent

many thanks to you both for your invaluable assistance - I am one happy Englishman.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
its not permanent

alas rebooting the machine returns it to the weird state but I can do the temp fix again.

Will getting the xp font file fix it permanently ?

Windows auto update tried to load KB839645 last night and popped up a dialog saying

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore the original versions of these files. The network location from which these files should be copied, C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386/controls.man is not available. Contact your system admin or insert windows XP KB839645 Source Files now."

Is this the same problem?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Goto Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" > Ok

Insert your Windows CD when requested.

That should replace all of the core windows files if they are incorrect versions.

Hope that helps,
GICodeWarrior

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
done this now

Oh gloom, when I rebooted the problem returned again!

My windows disk is a product recovery CD, maybe this isn't enough?

I'm away until Monday now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seemed to run OK

The Windows file protection dialog box came up and the thermometer took 15 minutes to fill up, it just disappeared on completion with no messages.

I have run it 3 times now, same result each time.

When it asks for the xp disk to be inserted, and I pop it in, the "welcome to xp" dialog box pops up . I have tried exiting and leaving it - same result.

Ant more thoughts please???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
boy was that a disaster

well I did as you suggest and during the install up popped a dialog box called "unregmp2.exe Entry point not found", containing the text

"the procedure entrypoint GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

the install then hung.

I shut down and tried to repeat but the system went into a loop - every time it rebooted it came up with a "insufficient system resource" or "not enough virtual memory" message and shut down again.

The only way I could get out of it was to do a clean reinstall, in another partition as it suggested.

I have run update and installed Norton antivirus and Kerio firewall on the new windows copy.

I would prefer to repair the old installation as it has a copy of Office for which I cannot find the install CD1.

If this isn't possible then can I get rid of the old windows copy?

The new installation as least does not appear to have the fonts problem! However the " and the @ keys are reversed - can I correct this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.