Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a problem with a board that worked fine for me. I put it into a friends case and he has some major problems.
Its a Asus A7V MotherBoard that I ran 3 sticks of memory in. He upgrded the bios to the Beta version 1012.01a I believe and when we try to add any extra memory it keeps reposting. I tried formating the had drive and doing a clean install of XP, with a weird problem happening. As XP was loading it said that there was an error reading from the CD disk and and to call the OS manufacturer. But I have tried different copies and all say the same. I can pull out the stick of memory and it runs fine. Funny that I can move two sticks around the 3 slots and the computer runs fine but put in the third and it will not work. Getting differnet errors. I tried installing a fresh copy and then putting the 3rd stick with the same problem ( continiuos rebooting) All the same memory and tried others I had. I can only think the bios update may have caused problem. Anyone have this kind orf problem. I know its an older board but he happy with it and I would like to olve the problem . Right know its running 2 PC 133 256mb memory sticks with an AMD CPU. Can you downgrade the bios without damage?? to version 1011 I also cannot find the AWD flash for it, but was frustrated that day and he needed the computer back that evening. It was and upgrde from Windows 2000 to Xp and I had similiar problems before getting the computer to run 2 sticks of memory when putting on Windows 2000 but forgot how I overcame the problem. PLEASE ANY suggestions!!!! Thanks Troy

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
It's usually not necessary to upgrade the BIOS unless it fixes a specific error. I had to do it on my PC to help it run two double-sided stick pf PC3200 DDR RAM. All the releases since then have been simple DMI updates and no major fixes.

If you can find the older BIOS online you can downgrade as easily as you upgraded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply

It one of the first boards that does run PC133 this may help here should be a link to the manual. http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/kt133/a7v/a7v-104.pdf Anyway I think after talking to a friend tonight that the many odd problems happening besides the memory, like misreading a new copy of XP and even other copies I have leads me to believe that the bios is causing this or the board has gone bad. I may try and laod the last general release of the bios.

I need to put the specs of my computer up here since everyone else list there's.

Thanks for the input and hope this may lead you to the first A7V board by Asus.
Troy

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I had a similar problem that turned out to be memory related win2k would not install ( kept telling me I had a corrupt cab file) with my 2 512's put my 256 in and not a hitch. :4-dontkno . Both Sticks eventually died :dead:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.