Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 (E1505), I dual boot Windows XP Home and Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)

When I get to the GRUB screen, and try to scroll down to windows XP it either:
1. Does not acknowledge me pressing the down key whatsoever, continues the countdown and boots Ubuntu
2. Scrools down once (to ubuntu safe mode I think) then freezes completely, the timer is no longer running and it stays there until I force it to turn off.

It gets better... :-(

When I allow it to just boot into Ubuntu, at the login screen, I try to type my username, but it types in a foreign language or something the 'a' looks like an 'a' and 'e' joined together etc. (forgive my ignorance, I have no idea what language it is).
I have tried changing the language in the options menu to sytem default and english (UK), and tried all combinations of fn, ctrl, atl etc. to no avail, and obviously I can't do anything further as I can't log in.

Does anyonehave any suggestions or has anyone experienced anything similar?
BTW just out of Dell warranty :-(

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like you need to reinstall Grub. If this is the case, you can use the Ubuntu installation CD to restore it without going through all kinds of hassles.

Here are the steps:

1. Boot your computer up with Ubunto CD
2. Go through all the process until you reech "[!!!] Disk Partition"
3. Select Manual Partition
4. Mount your appropriate linux partions

/
/boot
swap

5. Do not format them!
6. Finish the manual partition
7. Say "Yes" when it asks you to save the changes
8. It will give you errors saying that "the system couldn't install ....." after that
9. Ignore them, keep select "continue" until you get back to the Ubuntu installation menu
10. Jump to "Install Grub ...."
11. Once it is finished, just restart your computer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.