Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, please bear with me for this. I find it very hard to explain and any help would be VERY appreciated.

I started up my PC 2 days ago, I found settings changed everywhere. My wallpaper and taskbar were default. Desktop icons had mostly disappeared, I was getting messages asking me whether I wanted to take the "Windows XP Tour"... Basically my entire system had changed to how it would be if I had just installed it.

All my programs were still there and at first it seemed that all of "My Documents" had been erased, leaving only empty My Pictures and My Music. The Files from my iTunes had gone missing as well. Later, on exploring I found a new folder called TEMP in Documents and Settings, which had no real files in it. My original folder Nisha where all my stuff actually was, was there too with all my files safe, in Documents and Settings as well. Anything saved to TEMP is erased on the next start up, any changes made in settings of programs are also reverted.

Fearing a virus or something else on those lines I ran Malwarebytes, QuickHeal and found nothing. I tried deleting the folder but I got a message saying it is a Windows Systems folder and is required for Windows to run properly.

I managed to delete it once in Safe Mode but it came back named "Nisha.HOME-MAHIM." And System Restore doesn't work, if I try to use it.

I don't know how to remove this problem, it is driving me nuts! Please help before I lose my hair and sanity. TIA!

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
Your User Profile became corrupted and Windows logged you in with a Default Temp Profile. Go to Start/Run and type control userpasswords and press enter. Create a New User account with admin rights. Log out of the Temp profile you are in and log in as the new user. Go to C:\Documents and Settings and open up your old user profile Nisha folder. Copy the Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, and Start Menu folders and Paste them into your new user profile name overwriting the empty folders.

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
You are welcome! Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.