Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having the strangest problem with connecting to the internet on dial-up and it kind of started 8 months ago but got extremely worse ever since I got an XP computer 4 days ago. For most of the day my computer cannot connect to the internet no matter how often i try and an error message #678 appears stating the remote computer did not respond. Now the strange thing is im only able to connect on line after 10 pm or early morning before 9am or so maby after 5 or 10 or more attempts compared to 50 or more during the day time with no results.

I tested my XP computer at the store where i bought it and at my parents house and it has no problem at all connecting to my internet provider at those locations. My internet provider is blaming my phone line or some other kind of interference although Bell Canada has tested my complete line and reported that it is fully functional with no problems. So my question is why is this happening?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

What sort of dial up - as in 56k modem?

Are there other people in the house you live who will be using the phone line, i.e. other access points in the house with phones plugged into?

Do you have any sort of additional services set up on the line, i.e. caller waiting, some sort of answering service (these can interfere).

Check the state of the access point boxes - are they damaged?

Check the above things - then I would be going back to Bell Canada to be honest and insisting there is a problem and you want them to visit you to troubleshoot further.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi, welcome to TSF

What sort of dial up - as in 56k modem?

Are there other people in the house you live who will be using the phone line, i.e. other access points in the house with phones plugged into?

Do you have any sort of additional services set up on the line, i.e. caller waiting, some sort of answering service (these can interfere).

Check the state of the access point boxes - are they damaged?

Check the above things - then I would be going back to Bell Canada to be honest and insisting there is a problem and you want them to visit you to troubleshoot further.
The modem is a SoftV90 Data Fax Voice Modem COM4. Im the only one in the house and theres only 1 line connected from the original access point in the basement to the computer. To bi pass this line in the basement as a test, I connected a line from the outside phone line box at the side of my house to my computer and the same problem is occurring. I got on-line earlier today and it took about 25 attempts but for some reason it only took me about 3 attempts and I got on-line 10 minutes ago. Problem seems unpredictable. Theres no other services on my line but touch tone and 911 access. Actually few years ago I asked to remove the star 69 service that allows me to find out the last person who called my line.

I did say it may be easier to connect after 10 pm or early morning although im not too sure about that since I had trouble connecting last night and this morning. I really dont understand why this is happening. Maby i'll exchange the XP for another computer as I read on internet this problem is known to happen on XPs, although why is my XP able to connect with other phone lines except for mine when Bell is saying there is nothing wrong with my phone line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.