Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this in the Hard Drive forum, although I am starting to have doubts about whether it is my hard drive(s).

Okay, so I finished my first build a while ago, and a couple months ago I was being stupid and messing around with VMWare, not knowing what I was doing and I fried my hard drive. I had a virtual machine with my own hard drive on it running when it froze and I had to shut down without stopping the machine, after I rebooted Windows XP started to boot normally but then came back saying it couldn't boot correctly, I tried all the settings, safe mode, and last working settings but it still wouldn't boot, I booted into Knoppix and my hard drive was still there, and I could even copy files to an external USB drive. So I pop in the Windows XP disc and try to repair the installation, no luck. So as a last restort I reformat my drive and try to do a clean install, for some reason it keeps saying that I already have an installation of Windows on the drive and so I try to install over it, but it never goes to the setup afterward, it just asks me to install it again. After formatting several times I boot into Knoppix again and now it doesn't see my hard drive, uh-oh. I go into the Windows restore console and do the CheckDisk command and it says "One or more unfixable problems on the disc." So I accept the fact that I killed it and move on.

Now, several months later I have gotten a new hard drive, both the old and the new are 160GB, old was an IDE Samsung drive, the new is a Serial ATA 150 Maxtor. I was worried about having to install some SATA drivers but to my delight the Windows install disc tells me the correct size drive and asks to format it meaning it detected correctly (right?) so it formats fine and reboots, I go to install Windows again (this is where it gets ugly) for some reason, on my freshly bought, freshly formatted drive, it says there's already a copy of Windows on the drive. So now i'm getting really worried but I go ahead with the install, over the original installation (that can't exist). It reboots, and just like the old drive it doesn't go into setting up Windows, it goes to installing again. So now I'm thinking maybe it's not a Hard drive issue (in which case I just bought a brand new 160GB hard drive for no reason).

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is? Could I have screwed up something other than my hard drive? Because the computer works fine in Knoppix, it just doesn't like my hard drives. If anybody has any ideas please help, I'm getting really worried.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if it matters, here are my parts:
GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 mobo
1 gb Corsair RAM
Samsung DVD
GIGABYTE Radeon X800

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi Dylan.Scott,

Did you delete all previous partitions when reinstalling Windows?

When you reach the screen that lists the existing partitions on your hard drive, choose "To delete the selected partition, press D" for each partition listed until there are no partitions listed. After all partitions are deleted choose "To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C." Then Windows will list your new partition to install on and give you options for which file format you want to use. I choose "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" (not "Quick" but full format unless for some reason you have to use FAT32.)

There can't be any remnants of previous installations after you delete all partitions and reformat your new partition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might try that later, but right now I'm mostly concerned about my new hard drive. I find it really wierd that right after I partitioned the hard drive for the first time it says that there is already an installation of Windows on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, when it boots up it doesn't seem to say anywhere that it detects the hard drive, it lists all the IDE channels with my DVD drive, but it doesn't list the SATA drive anywhere, but in the Windows install it seems to detect it.

·
Banned
102 Posts
I checked out your BIOS instructions online. Go to Advanced BIOS features, Hard Disk Boot Priority, use the up and down arrow keys to select your SATA drive then the + and - keys to move it to the top of the list.

Again, connect only the SATA drive you want to install Windows on, then that will be the only drive on the list. Windows install will default to any IDE drive if you connect one, instead of your SATA drive, so only connect your SATA drive for now.

Once you have installed Windows on your SATA drive you can connect other hard drives. Delete all partitions and start fresh as outlined above.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In my BIOS boot priorities, I don't have the option to select individual drives. It just has "Hard Drive, CDROM, Floppy" etc. I can't seem to pick which individual drive I wan't to boot from, only Hard Drive in general. And I just checked in my BIOS and SATA 1 is enabled, so I don't see what the problem is. And I haven't had my IDE drive plugged in any time that I was trying on the SATA drive.

EDIT: I think I see what you're talking about, but in the Hard Drive boot priority thing, the only option on there is "Bootable add-in cards", so I don't have anything to prioritize, because that's the only one on there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap, I just deleted the partition on my hard drive to reformat it, and now the Windows install thing says its a 131gb hard drive. If anybody has any ideas as to why any of this is happening I would be greatful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to triple post but it won't let me edit. Anyways thanks for your replies, I found the problem and I got it working.

If anyone cares, what happened was when I partitioned and formatted my hard drive, it automatically installed windows. So when I went to install windows, there was an installation of windows on it. And it wasn't booting because for some reason my one SATA drive was automatically put in a RAID array that I hadn't configured, and it wasn't set to boot. So again, thanks for your replies.

·
Banned
102 Posts
You probably had the RAID option enabled for your SATA drives when you wanted to use them as single drives. That's why your SATA drive wasn't showing up.

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.