Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built my first PC, a gaming machine in September and it worked fine until roughly December, when the problem started happening.

The computer will work perfectly fine and then suddenly start freezing up for no apparent reason. Programs will not respond and sometimes Windows explorer stops responding to. The weirdest part is that everything goes back to normal afterwards. This happens roughly every 5-10 minutes or so. The severity of the freezing also seems to differ and is sometiems barely noticeable.I don't know if its a hardware or a software issue, so any help for this newb would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs:

Phenom II X4 955 BE CPU
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard
ATI Radeon 4890 GPU
Hiper 880W Type M PSU
4gigs of Corsair DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 32bit (originally was running Vista 32bit but did a clean Windows seven install to try and solve the problem).

·
Registered
301 Posts
did you change anything specific like install software when the problems started to happen in december ?

with the machine turned off it might be a good idea to check your ram is seated properly and that your drives connections are firmly in place ?

how old is your PSU ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only things that I can remember doing around the time that the problem began was Installing Dragon Age Origins and Dragging my hard-drive with defraggler for the first time. The PSU was brand new in September and I have already checked that my RAM and Drive Cables are secure.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Post your temps and voltages
Run memtest to test the ram, run it on one stick at a time and leave it run for several hours, if it shows errors stop memtest and report back

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does this mean you had the freezing with a vista 32bit install ?

If that's the case it would make the case for it being hardware more likely :wink:
Yes, I had the same problem with Vista, but it seems to have gotten even worse on Windows 7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. I ran memtest on my two sticks of RAM individually for an hour and they came up with no errors. I also got the temps and voltages from the BIOS:

CPU Temp: 42C
System temp:30C
Vcore: 1.344v
DDR3 1.5v:1.600v
+3.3v:3.3112v
+12v:12.112v

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Your cpu temp is a tad high for a computer at idle, could you put the computer under load like playing a game and report back your cpu temp. I doubt this is a problem but have to check.

Could you post a link to your ram? I would like to see its specs you can then go into bios and make sure the voltage is set correctly, for instance some corsair should run at 1.6 other corsair runs at 1.5. You can of course check this your self but let me know what voltage your ram should run at and what voltage it is set at in bios. Some bios set the default voltage wrong, this could cause the problem you are seeing

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
No thats not it that like is for laptop ram.
Could you give me any more details about you ram

Enter bios and check what the ram voltage is set and and post it here

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The clock was already at x6.66 and I raised the voltage to 1.65, but the slow downs still occur. Could it be some other piece of hardware like the hard-drive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Strange. My hardrive does not appear under physical drives in WD's diagnostic utility, but is plainly there under logical drives.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I doubt its the hdd if it passed the extended test, you did run the extended test correct?

Download and run prime95's torture test, this stresses hardware it does not test software or drivers. If you can run it without prime showing errors or stopping for a couple hours then its not hardware related and we will have to look else were

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.