Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some odd reason the entire thing keep seizing up at seemingly random when I run my machine in normal mode. When I run in safe mode it works just fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Could be any number of things. We need more info. System specs, particularly RAM and processor speed. Has it always acted this way? Have you run any virus or spyware scans? Have you installed anything recently?

·
1,438 Posts
That it happens in normal mode and not safe mode indicates that it is more likely to be a software conflict than hardware, but it still could be hardware or power related since not all hardware gets loaded in safe mode.
Does it unfreeze after it freezes or must you reboot it with the restart button?

Have you made any major hardware changes?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If everything is ok in safe mode, there may be a driver that is causing the lock ups. Try uninstalling some irrelevant programs, and drivers. One by one, then you will find the culprit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Re:

768 MB of ram, AMD 2200+ 1.5 Ghz processor, Radeon 8500 graphics card.

The latest bit of hardware installed was the 512 mb ram chip, way back in June. And the problem has only been going on for a week or two.

Ocassionally it unfreezes, or it lags behind for a few moments. I was playing Planescape: Torment a little while ago, at first the mouse cursor was just leaving behind bits over the screen, then the image started taking forever to load. Then it went black, and then my monitor threw up the 'no video feed' message.

Virus scans just turn up the same Javascript viruses that I can't get rid of from some reason, and Ad Aware turns up nothing.

Once I got some sort of error window regarding the video adapter or something of the like, which was after a screen flicker and a black screen before it snapped back to normal.

I uninstalled the Radeon 8500 driver and that seemed to correct the problem for 24 hours, but this morning it was back again.

The last couple of things I installed where Starcraft: Brood Wars, Planescape: Torment, and NPDOR Select (something for a survey company.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, uninstalling those three things doesn't do a thing about anything. I turned around to get a CD, and when I turned back the screen was all screwed up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like a video problem. Upgrade your drivers, and change your screen resolution. See if another monitor gives you the same problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ATI drivers won't update in Safe Mode, and I can't run it in normal mode long enough to fix it, or change screen resolution.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ooh. It's a good idea to reformat every year or so. That's why you save all your install progs and backup everything. Download the video drivers on another computer, put them on a CD or USB drive (whichever your version of Safe Mode will support) and install in safe mode.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem is, I have so much d/led, I don't remember what I have until I go to use it, and it's not there, thus finding and reinstalling it all over again.

A reformat is not an option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know how you feel. I was devastated when I had to reformat my first computer. But it is inevitable, sooner or later, you'll have to. From now on, make incremental backups. For now, update your drivers, and run Spybot S&D, uninstall anything you've installed in the last two weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.