Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a genuine copy of Windows 10 on a nine month old desktop without any problems, until last night!

A message suddenly appeared saying something like: "Your current version of windows has come to an end", then, without any further notice or enquiry, Windows began to reinstall!

When it had finished, I couldn't log in, something about: "User profile service failed the sign in".

So eventually got back in by changing the password. Then I couldn't log into to Outlook email, and had to change that password as well.

Things seem to be working OK now, but I'm wondering if this is some kind of scam?

As a result of this I've had to change my primary log in details and also email, so if it is some kind of
elaborate scam, the scammer has all my essential security details?

I've been using Windows since 98, and never had anything like this happen before, and can't imagine why Microsoft would do something like this?

Any information about this, especially if it can be confirmed as legitimate, will be very helpful?

Peter

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,816 Posts

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Not sure who are the worst: scammers or Microsoft! I've lost all my data as a result of this imposition.

I won't say what I think of Microsoft on here, as it would definitely require moderation.

ATB

Peter

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also use Download Windows 10 it's free I use that on my pc.
Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the free upgrade from 7, etc, to 10.

I have used it in the past, but not without issues cropping up.

My attitude to windows is that it's the least worst o/s available for a PC - I'm still finding it hard to believe that Microsoft can just impose an "upgrade" without prior notice and without any option to proceed, and then dump someone's data in the process.

It is totally and absolutely unprofessional.

A good incentive to buy a Chrome book or a Mac. I've already switched to iPad for online banking, as it's deemed to be more secure than windows.

ATB

Peter

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
Apple does the same thing. That's where Microsoft got the idea.
You can manually upgrade your computer by downloading the ISO Image for 10, Save the ISO image to your desktop or download location. Right click it and choose Mount, this creates a Virtual DVD drive of the installer, then double click Setup.exe. Choose to keep your Files if you like.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I booted up this evening I got a message saying: "You have the very latest version of windows". I was about to launch another verbal assault on Microsoft, when, surprise surprise, I noticed my data is back!

So there it is: Microsoft is in control, and I'm just an end user, and who knows what will happen tomorrow?

Microautocracy is the digital follow up to Game of Thrones!

Wow, there goes Emilia Clarke on one of her dragons chasing some White Walkers across my screen!

The seven kingdoms of: Microsoft, Google, Apple, Samsung, Amazon, AMD and Intel.

We, the humans, are the Bystanders who lost control back in the dark ages!

See it on Kindle some time in the future!

Thank you for all replies.

Peter

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
We are glad you got it sorted.
You have choices, you don't have to use Windows or Mac OS. You can use Linux and be free of the tyranny that bequeaths your kingdom.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I have used Linux in the past, but the limitation on programs is a problem.

I use some now obsolete Macromedia programs, which at the moment I have running on Windows 7 on my ageing Dell laptop, that has been declared: "end of life" by the autocrats. Bottom line is that I've been exiled to the wilderness! The Macromedia programs were written for XP, but I managed to get them working on 7, but no luck on 10.

I have a recent copy of Photoshop that's stayed in the box unopened for the past two years - I know Fireworks inside out, and can do anything with it that Photoshop can do.

Anyway, I now need 1000 PCB's, and a few dozen tubes of epoxy resin, which I will use to construct the Silicon Throne!

ATB

Peter

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
You can install most programs for XP and Windows 7 into 10 using Compatibility Mode. If that doesn't work you can install a Virtual Machine of Windows 7 using Virtual Box to run your old programs. Most of those programs have newer versions you can install for 10. Come out of the wilderness. There are choices, don't feel boxed in by autocrats.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for those suggestions.

I couldn't get Fireworks/ Dreamweaver to work in Compatibility mode in 10, but I will give it another go just in case the recent upgrade of 10 makes any difference.

I've not heard of Virtual Box previously, but will take a look at it.

Thanks again.

ATB

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the free upgrade from 7, etc, to 10.

I have used it in the past, but not without issues cropping up.

My attitude to windows is that it's the least worst o/s available for a PC - I'm still finding it hard to believe that Microsoft can just impose an "upgrade" without prior notice and without any option to proceed, and then dump someone's data in the process.

It is totally and absolutely unprofessional.

A good incentive to buy a Chrome book or a Mac. I've already switched to iPad for online banking, as it's deemed to be more secure than windows.

ATB

Peter
One Word...Ubuntu.

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am using Windows 10 on a recently built desktop, and 7 on my 9 year-old Dell laptop, which runs Fireworks.

If someone could come up with a basic O/S that will run programs made for Windows, I would happily swap.

There's quite a lot being said in the media in the UK at the moment re built in obsolescence, with talk of passing legislation in an attempt to combat it. Making machines impractical to use because there isn't a driver in pursuit of profit needs to change. In the UK the average bod doesn't have the skills to repair a bucket, let alone a mobile phone or a computer. If Governments want to tackle climate change they need to find a way of persuading manufacturers to make goods that last longer than a few years and can be repaired with spares readily available.

If You Tube is anything to go by, there are a lot more people in the States interested in making and repairing things than there are in the UK. Time will tell if common sense can triumph over greedy multinationals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Not sure who are the worst: scammers or Microsoft! I've lost all my data as a result of this imposition.

I won't say what I think of Microsoft on here, as it would definitely require moderation.

ATB

Peter
I feel the same way about Microsoft, they locked me out of a Hotmail account that I had for 15+ years. When I tried to fix it they wanted my name, address, other email address, phone number, and more!

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel the same way about Microsoft, they locked me out of a Hotmail account that I had for 15+ years. When I tried to fix it they wanted my name, address, other email address, phone number, and more!
I've had exactly the same too - really annoying. Cutting off access for no good reason and asking for so much security information means that scammers who emulate Microsoft can harvest a mass of critical information.

The irony is that Microsoft bring out a new edition of Windows to replace the version that users have been getting security updates for years to block the vulnerabilities, and then it starts all over again.

I'm surprised that Google haven't done more to build a universal O/S - but then they would be sucking information out of its users 24/7. I was cheered by Apple's latest move to limited the information gathering game - nice to hear Zuckerberg squeel. Can't be easy lying awake at nights worrying over where the next billion is coming from!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honestly, I work in a public library, and it's sad when people come in that are locked out of their email because they didn't give a phone number or second email address or some way to verify their identity. I try to help them, but it's tough!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,694 Posts
Honestly, I work in a public library, and it's sad when people come in that are locked out of their email because they didn't give a phone number or second email address or some way to verify their identity. I try to help them, but it's tough!
I would ask for ID before helping. Wouldn't want to help a non-account owner. :cautious:

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't for a minute doubt your integrity, but what you say makes the point that people who are suddenly cut off from their online accounts can become desperate and will give out critical information to anyone who says they can help. Or, maybe wanna-be scammers will exploit other well meaning people to help them overcome security on another person's account.

The obsession that some online companies have with security can easily become counter productive.

If a security pass becomes compromised, then a second email address can be used to reset and assure security.

Some of the questions I've been asked in the cause of "security"... "memorable information" !

1/ Mother's maiden name
2/ Town I was born in
3/ Name of first school attended
4/ Name of best friend at school
5/ Make of first car
6/ Name of first pet
7/ Number of first house I lived in
8/ Name of the street I first lived in
9/ Name of favourite teacher when at school
10/ Year of passing driving test...
and others that I can't remember.

A lot of people working in security don't seem to realise that the more complex the security procedures and questions get, the less effective it's likely to be.

I had a yahoo account that was locking me out every couple of weeks over a period of months, and I changed the password so many times I'm blowed if I know which one was the last used. So the next time I get locked out I'm going to be required to change it again.

Personally I believe that Change for changes sake is the driver behind so much of the unnecessary change we have to live with these days, i.e. if something is running well and doing the job it was designed to do, then the people involved with it have nothing to do, or sell, so, whether needed or not, they start changing the item in question, which keeps them in work, the sales team, the advertising people, the delivery section, etc.etc.

Stick a few 'bells and whistles' on a smart phone and advertise it in a way that makes the current model look outdated, and bingo, you've got another million orders on the books.

I bet you could even sell t-shirts to some people, e.g. printed with: "I've got LXXX version of Windows"

Think I'd better stop now before I get my account closed for having a go at the free marketeers.

·
Premium Member
41,821 Posts
Nice Rant, but you got way off your OP topic. If you have no more information to share about your original question, then we can consider this Thread Solved.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.