Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Recently my PC has started behaving oddly. When operating in windows (7) normally, e.g. browsing/chatting etc - it works perfectly, but when stressed in games it starts acting up. I normally just see graphics errors, but other times BSOD, resulting in reboot. Windows then tells me that there was an error it couldnt identify...

Well, my first suspicion was the RAM, and tested it with memtest86 (note that i have 4GB Kingston DDR2) which returned no errors.

Thereafter I checked with Windows memory diagnostic (WMD) tool, and this is where I need your help, because there are no errors with microprocessor cache on, but when I turn it off there are a lot (700+).

So, what does it mean to have cache turned off in WMD, and is it just my RAM's that are bad and need replacement, or could it be cpu related somehow?

Thanks a lot in advance!

/Michael N

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
what I would suggest is that you enter the BIOS at startup and note down your CPU temperatures and the voltages that relate to 3.3, 5v and 12v

Reboots when the PC is stressed sound to me like the pc is either overheating or that the pc isn't recieving enough clean power to keep the system stable.

Can you also post your full specs including make and model of power supply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The BIOS won't tell me what the 5V is, but the 3.3V is 3.312V and 12V 12.112V

Here is the specs:

ram: 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX (DDR2 PC6400 ram, sorry for writing kingston above) :)
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4
psu: Corsair vx550W
cpu: Intel [email protected]
cpu-cooler: Zalman 9700LED
gfx:Nvidia Geforce 8800GT, 512mb

None of the hardware is brand-new, app 1½-2 years old, and have not experienced any issues until recently (1 month ago).

Thanks again.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
I would suggest that you download memtest86 burn it to disk and run from that disk.

run memtest with 1 stick in at a time, any errors indicate that the ram stick you are testing is damaged.

Are you running 4 1GB sticks? if so some motherboards require you to tweak the voltage in order for it to run all four sticks properly, some motherboards do not like 4 slots filled at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 2x2GB, and have now run it again with memtest86 v3.4. It finds no errors after several passes... :-/

The only way i can get it to find errors is if i select BIOS-all in the Memory sizing menu. It then finds around 400 errors with error confidence level around 30 in test 0, and always crashes 46% into test #1. As the memtest support page states, it could be the program being unstable due to incompatibility with the motherboard, but what do you think it means?

I have yet to try running one stick at the time, will check that and post the results soon.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
The only way i can get it to find errors is if i select BIOS-all in the Memory sizing menu. It then finds around 400 errors with error confidence level around 30 in test 0, and always crashes 46% into test #1. As the memtest support page states, it could be the program being unstable due to incompatibility with the motherboard, but what do you think it means?
Where are you getting these 400 errors from, the BIOS is the bit where it says press del or f2 to enter setup when you first switch the pc on, look in the BIOS and post your temperatures and voltages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.