1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an iMac 7,1
OS Mac OS X 10.6.2
I live in Ireland, eircom is my ISP.
Recently decided to convert my Time Capsule to a base station, router, whatever, rather than an expensive external HD.
It needed a modem, decided on a Netgear broadband ethernet Modem DM111Pv2. Read the on-line comments later!
Both the Modem and the Time Capsule got themselves installed with minimal effort on my part.
The system works. Daignostics all OK.
My concern is that the DNS servers given me , are not as advertised by my ISP. The Primary one is unknown to me, and the Secondary server is what should be the Primary.
The "Main menu" of the Netgear modem is very short of configuration options in comparison with it's modem/router cousin.
There seems no way into Basic mode or anything like that.
What I would really like is to get My OpenDNS servers up and going again.
Is the Netgear Modem setup a closed book where none may enter, or is there a workaround?
The odd thing is that an old pre-wireless Netopia modem works great and fully configurable as well as I can, anyway.
i just felt obliged to get a state of the art modem!
Sorry that this is such an epistle, it is Sunday, after all. perhaps that's why I got an error on trying the Netgear support page.
I'm trying all the angles, including OpenDNS. I expect my ISP to be a bit shirty about a modem which has not been blessed by them.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've had a look at the user manual for this unit : DM111Pv2, which is a modem/router.
You're right, very short of config possibilities. Even the manual setup page says "After logging in, the Setup Wizard screen displays."
Under troubleshooting, it does say "If you entered a DNS address during the modem router’s configuration," so presumably there is a page to manually enter DNS numbers.
Anyway, you're concerned about the DNS servers ? If it works, why worry ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a look at the user manual for this unit : DM111Pv2, which is a modem/router.
You're right, very short of config possibilities. Even the manual setup page says "After logging in, the Setup Wizard screen displays."
Under troubleshooting, it does say "If you entered a DNS address during the modem router’s configuration," so presumably there is a page to manually enter DNS numbers.
Anyway, you're concerned about the DNS servers ? If it works, why worry ?
Thank you.
I'm beginning to come around to your line of thinking.
The terms Modem, router, modem/router tend to be switched about quite a lot, mine is purely a modem, but the manual that came with the CD is that of the Combined modem/router. Not surprising to get instructions for an option that doesn't exist.
I am wary of getting a (temporary) IP address as my Primary DSN Address on setup.
Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.