Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my motherboard, as my monitor couldn't get any signal from it, and nothing else could have been the problem (checked all connections etc.)

Now with my new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8i848PG), I get the first few startup screens, but I get the one about an improper shutdown, asking me to choose to start windows normally, in safe mode, with last good settings and all that, but at this point my keyboard stops working (it works prior to this with BIOS settings etc), and I can do nothing but watch the countdown to startup. When it reaches zero, it restarts and the whole process begins again.

I've never encountered this before, and google hasn't given me any answers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Errr no, it's a different motherboard. I'm thinking it's me being a n00b somewhere, or at least I hope so as it would be easier to fix : /

G

·
A different motherboard will totally confuse your system. Most of the time it ends up with a total crash. Some people would argue about that. I dont get it :) You will have to re install your OS for the best results. You can install this HD as slave to a different computer and save your data. Then can proceed with the fresh installation. If you are keen you can do a repair installation of your OS and then your system will recognize your new motherboard and you wont lose anything. But you might experience some problems right after the first boot. You might need some serious troubleshootinging.

edit : http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm would be a great guide for the repair installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.