Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Geforce FX 5950 Ultra
1 gig of RAM
Truepower 2.0 550W Antec Power supply (EPS12V)

I am running an AMD 3200+ on an A7N8X-X motherboard, and I have checked what I know to check, but here is the issue...

When I let windows shut down, everything turns off and the motherboard light stays on, this part is fine:

• If I leave it for a few hours and come back, pressing the power button once does nothing, pressing it again powers the machine up as usual.
  • However, if I turn the whole machine off by the plug, and then leave it for a few hours, turning the plug back on automatically powers the machine up. Usually I would have to press the power button.

I must add, this is only if it's left for a few hours. If I power down, fiddle with things a bit and then press the power button or turn the switch on everything works as it should.

After trying a few things I thought it might be quicker to just ask in here, I tried turning off by the PSU switch too, it does the same thing... maybe it's an odd setting somewhere, but I can't find anything linked to it.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had a look now again, but everything looks ok apart from a bit of dust here and there...

When I took a closer look a few days ago, I didnt see any marks or issues on the motherboard anywhere.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I have had several HP's do that, power on when you plug them in, never seemed to hurt anything but what you said about having to press the power button twice got me thinking.

When you unplug a machine the capacitors drain down and I think tahts why some, very few, machines startup when plugged back in

Does the machine run normal otherwise? If so I don't think there is a lot you can do at this point you just have to run it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly... everything else seems to be working as normal (apart from a noisy fan which I am waiting on the replacement for). It's more of an annoyance than anything else, you know... the kind where you want things working perfectly.

It's been like it for a relatively long time now, the only thing is that I have had the plug turned on permanantly up until recently, (and I thought it was a dodgy button.) Only when I started turning the plug off I realized the problems were related.

I just wondered if there was something obvious I was missing, and I still feel it might be that. Maybe some kind of BIOS setting, I think I checked all jumpers etc... either way I do thank all input.

So turning on my power at the wall and the machine booting up shouldn't cause any damage? (I guess the PSU controls most of that anyway)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
No that should not cause any problems short term but don't continually unplug it leave it pluged in unless working on it.

There are no bios settings or anything I know of you are missing and like I said I have seen several machines do this on occasion and they seemed fine for years or at least I did not get any call backs on them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.