Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did a monthly nuke last week and I'm afraid I may have goofed something up, I tried to run fdisk mbr while I had it down and it would not run, kept getting bad command errors, well I went ahead and reinstalled the OS, now I keep getting these blue screens telling me there was a problem somewhere and hit any key to keep going or restart if problem persists. I seem to get these errors when I access one of my cd rom drives or windows explorer, when I open explorer and try to expand the folder list it goes blue, or if I try to run a cd, it goes blue. Also my auto run is not working, it did before I did the nuke. I did not go to cmos and touch anything in there.

What did I do? The reason for wanting to run fdisk mbr is I had a virus on this and I wanted to make sure it was gone. I do not want to low level this again untill I get another hard drive, I have 3 in there now but my OS is on one of the partitions of my 80 gig drive and I don't want to cram all the files on the other partitions to another drive so I don't lose them during the format. I'm puting in another 80 gig soon but untill i get it I cannot move the files on this one.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I do not want to low level this again until I get another hard drive
:coffee:
Your not trying to actually Low-Level Format an IDE drive are you??
I'm pretty sure thats not what your talking about but if you are: do-not-do-this. Bad thing will happen. :)

ok, that said hopefully we can get your system working again. :)

It sounds like your re-install didn't really help, if I understood your post you have multiple partitions on a large drive. Now if you had a virus on your system and you wiped your c: (Boot Partition) and re-installed windows the virus could have still infected your other partitions and then re-infected the Re-installed OS when it restarted.

:gun: Viruses

Your best bet is to get the most recent virus Defs. for whatever virus scanning program you use, then if you have DSL or a Cable modem take it offline, boot to safe mode, do a full virus scan, then re-install the OS again.

FYI: If you used a Win98 bootdisk to boot to a: the correct syntax for mbr copy would have been "fdisk /mbr" if that's what you typed and you had a Windows made bootdisk in it should have worked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I forgot the / in the MBR command!
I just reformated again and it worked this time. As far as low leveling this, I have done it to a couple other drives with success. I'm getting another 80 gig drive but I need to transfer everything off of this drive temporarily to write 0s to it and start over with a fresh drive.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As far as low leveling this, I have done it to a couple other drives with success.
Only if you define success as not destroying the drive. Don't do it again, you gain nothing and stand to lose allot.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Jamman is right....

you werent successful you were lucky!!

NO need to LOW LEVEL FORMAT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.