Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. As many, many others have found, its seems to be impossible to completely stop Windows 10 updates. I do understand the necessity of security updates, but Windows seems to "decide" to update at the most inopportune time, e.g., during a Zoom meeting, opening my Laptop in the morning 10 minutes before a meeting starts, etc. And many updates are full of bugs or break/change something in my system. MIcrosoft seems not to care how they mess up their customer's systems. Reported issues go unsolved and unaddressed.

I've scoured all of the forums I can find and tried many tricks and fixes to stop updates, none of which seem to work, at least for me.

My current version is Windows 10 Home, Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.388)

I came across one recommendation for a software package called NTLite. According to one suggestion (Eleven different ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 (updated March 2019)) is has a feature that allows one to " to completely remove the Windows Update module from Windows."

I'm cautious about installed unproven software on my system, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with this software, especially using it to disable the Update feature.

Thanks in advance!

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of the using the metered connection, and have already implemented this a couple of days ago. The downside of that is that Outlook will not update until you acknowledge that you are using a metered connection and click "Connect Anyway." I'll have to see if that truly stops the updates or merely postpones them.

Form what I have gathered on many, many other forums stopping updates is not trivial. Otherwise there would not be so many knowledgeable folks listing umpteen methods to disable updates in Windows 10.

You're making this harder than it actually is. In Windows 10 Home, all you need to do is set your internet connection as metered. Alternatively, you can use Windows Update Blocker v1.5 at your own risk. I wouldn't recommend completely removing the Windows Update "module".

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of the using the metered connection, and have already implemented this a couple of days ago. The downside of that is that Outlook will not update until you acknowledge that you are using a metered connection and click "Connect Anyway." I'll have to see if that truly stops the updates or merely postpones them.
Form what I have gathered on many, many other forums stopping updates is not trivial. Otherwise there would not be so many knowledgeable folks listing umpteen methods to disable updates in Windows 10.

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately a metered connection does not stop Windows 10 updates, as evidenced by the update that just now happened while I was on a metered connection.

So I'd like to go back to my original question:

"I came across one recommendation for a software package called NTLite. According to one suggestion (Eleven different ways to disable Windows Update in Windows 10 (updated March 2019)) is has a feature that allows one to 'to completely remove the Windows Update module from Windows.'"

You're making this harder than it actually is. In Windows 10 Home, all you need to do is set your internet connection as metered. Alternatively, you can use Windows Update Blocker v1.5 at your own risk. I wouldn't recommend completely removing the Windows Update "module".

· Super Moderator
5,863 Posts
Not all updates are stopped on a metered connection. You'll still receive Defender definitions, for example. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10
Forget the idea of completely removing the Windows Update "module". Use WUB instead. It's far much safer, simpler, faster and easier to block/unblock WU, but if you love to live dangerously, explore the NTLITE option further. There isn't much we can tell you about that piece of software, but you could always find out more about it in its official website, including its documentation. I used it many years ago to slipstream SP1 into Windows 7 media, before I started using Dism directly to service images.

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the update and links. I'll check them out.

Not all updates are stopped on a metered connection. You'll still receive Defender definitions, for example. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10
Forget the idea of completely removing the Windows Update "module". Use WUB instead. It's far much safer, simpler, faster and easier to block/unblock WU, but if you love to live dangerously, explore the NTLITE option further. There isn't much we can tell you about that piece of software, but you could always find out more about it in its official website, including its documentation. I used it many years ago to slipstream SP1 into Windows 7 media, before I started using Dism directly to service images.

· Moderator , Security Team
2,431 Posts
If it's just that W10 updates at inconvenient times, you can set your "Active Hours" to ensure that it doesn't re-start your computer when you don't want it to.

Doesn't address all your update problems I know, but it does help prevent those unwanted re-starts that can be such a PITA.

· Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

I've explored that option and did have it set to avoid my working hours. However, when I had to shut down or restart the system, and there were pending updates, Windows updated regardless of the time of day. If I booted up within 15 minutes or less of a Zoom meeting it would sometimes take 20 minutes or more for the update to finish.

And to answer the question that someone may ultimately ask, "well why didn't you start sooner?" I don't always have that choice, unfortunately.

Thanks for the input though. Much appreciated.

If it's just that W10 updates at inconvenient times, you can set your "Active Hours" to ensure that it doesn't re-start your computer when you don't want it to.

Doesn't address all your update problems I know, but it does help prevent those unwanted re-starts that can be such a PITA.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts
Hi, we control WU with these reg mods( Used on millions of govm't computers) Cmd's as admin (press enter for the last cmd to work):-

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Now if you disable wuauserv (windows update) then windows will override you and restart the service for essential updates, this is caused by the UsoSvc if you disable this then no windows updates will ever occur(not at all recommended)

2,431 Posts
Of course all of this would be unnecessary if Microsoft had just kept the old "notify but don't install" option, but hey why keep something that's worked so well for years, when you can introduce a system that causes a significant number of people problems.

It's one of the reasons (and there are many), that when W8.1 runs out of support, I will be moving permanently across to Linux.

· Premium Member
7,763 Posts
Hi Gary, we are in a cyber war, China, Eastern European, and the great democracy Russia (the master puppeteer) have for some time now sort to infiltrate western systems both to disrupt and to steal knowledge that they can not obtain themselves, MS have been forced to respond (The five eyes US, Canada, Aus, UK and NZ) put considerable pressure on MS to lift it's game, as a result many functions of MS security have been automated, to protect you, not all were well exercised, although I agree they were necessary . I wrote the original Mega program (some 40 odd years ago) that became linux we use it on our super computer it is somewhat limited especially when it comes to functionality, MS command 90%+ of the market it would be better to help those that use it , since that's what they use rather then offer an alternative that they will not implement.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,785 Posts
Jenae: I need some additional education. Many years ago I worked on some UNIX based systems. I know Bell Labs developed UNIX. I always assumed, maybe incorrectly that Linux was based on UNIX. Please fill in the gaps re MAGA either here or we can use this to start a separate thread.

2,431 Posts
Sorry, not convinced by the cyber war theory as an excuse for the draconian introduction of compulsory updates.

It wouldn't be effective anyway, since most attacks do not enter through the OS, but through the apps and programs installed on it, the vast majority of which are anything but secure.

In any case, anyone who thinks that they're going to keep out someone with the resources of a Nation State is only fooling themselves. All systems are hackable if you have those kind of resources available.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.