Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the 'stop light switch' located on a 2001 Ford ZX2? I need to replace mine ASAP and when I feel up the brake pedal, I don't feel anything like one? Could it be somewhere else? Take it easy fellas - this is a girl trying to do a guy job.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good Morning ibfnp2006, I am not familiar with the particular vehicle but generally you would need to really obtain access and arrange it so that you can get your head down in a position so that you can visually observe the upper area of that pedal.

(Before you do this ensure you stoplamp globes are correct type, fitted correctly and the lampsockets etc. have good integrity.
Check any fuse that may be involved in the under dash fuse panel.)

Accessing and viewing the pedal mechanism often requires really distorting yourself into a really uncomfortable position through the doorway and using a decent small torch to see the operation.

Most often the "stoplight" switch will be arranged and mounted on a bracket apart from the pedal arm such that it's "plunger" contacts that arm.
Movement of the pedal arm allows the switch plunger to move and thus operates the switch contacts.

If the vehicle has "cruise control" there is generally a second switch similarly mounted which disables that system.

Identify which switch is which before proceeding.

It sometimes happens where the respective switch plunger develops "stiction" and may not have free travel to operate, but also the switches can fail, especially when large wattage globes are used and the driver has a tendency to sit in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal for long periods.

These switches generally have two spade "push-on" type connectors, and if you identify the switch you can simply disconnect and place a short piece of wire into the female disconnected leads and confirm if the rear lamps illuminate.
This will confirm the switch has a problem.

If the lamps do not illuminate in this condition, recheck stoplamp globes for integrity and any fuse involved in that circuit.

Cheers, qldit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.