1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone, Happy new year

I built this computer about 4 years ago , in the last year or so
i have been getting stop errors, sometimes it would happen
in the first 5 minutes sometimes 20 minutes sometimes longer.
especially when i play winamp 5.03a.

I started out getting this a year ago

driver_irqL_not less_or_equal
stop 0x000000D1 0xA0493BE0,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xA0493BE0
stop 0x00000050 0xEBA2DA8C,0x00000000,0x8050EA8D,0x00000000

pulled everything, changed video card and turned off paging file,
no change, so I had to put sound and modem card back in cause i need
to use it and now I get this

stop 0x00000050 0xEDD29AA4,0x00000000,0x8050EA8D,0x00000000
just got this the other day
stop 0x0000008E 0xc0000005,0x8050EA8D,0xF5B47C9C,0x00000000

Winxp Pro
Abit KR7A-133 Raid
Amd Athlon Xp 1900+
Kingston 512 333Mhz PC2700
Msi G2Tivx Pro-T
Aopen Aw850
Aopen Fm56-PM
Dlink DFE-538TX

now im using Ati Rage Pro 8MB. I dont think its overheating cause
I always clean it and i have 2 tower fans 1 front 1 back.
I just bought a house a year ago so i cant afford to buy another one.
I hope somebody can give me some clue on what i should do.
thanks to anyone who can help
kris

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi kriscrash

. . . and Welcome to the Tech Support Forums.

Hardware or software? - this is the tricky part of solving Stop error puzzles.

Why not start by eliminating hardware failure as a probable cause.
1) Set Bios timings to Defaults. Ensure that the cpu is detected properly, and that the timings match it. Leave voltages at default, too. That Abit board is highly overclockable, you don't want that during troubleshooting.
2) Test the memory with MemTest86+ --- http://www.memtest.org
3) Test the hard drive --- http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
4) If you aren't using a RAID array, check that the hard drive isn't on the High Point RAID IDE controller during troubleshooting [hook it up to the non-RAID IDE controllers next to the DDR memory slots].
5) Try testing system performance with a different power supply (of suitable wattage & ATX type). What make/wattage supply do you have?
6) While in Bios Setup, make sure that the date & time are OK. If not, it might be time to replace the CMOS battery. [a weak/failing CMOS battery can cause the Bios to have faulty settings, and can lead to strange problems].

Then check for system settings/driver stability:
1) Set your Virtual Memory (pagefile) to "system managed"
2) Ensure that older drivers are completely uninstalled. In particular, make sure that the video driver situation is cleaned up. If you suspected the nVidia card as a source of trouble, make sure that it's drivers are completely uninstalled. A Registry Cleaner can help with this: I generally use CCleaner --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html Might as well use the Cleanup functions to clear temp clutter, and then run the "Issues" function until it reports "no issues found". The "Issues" functions are the Registry-cleanup functions. If you have had trouble removing programs, CCleaner has a function for that, too, under it's Advanced menus.
3) Make sure that you have the right chipset drivers installed (you can grab them from ABIT).
4) If you've fallen behind in your Windows Update schedule, by all means visit Windows Update, and get up-to-date with Critical Updates.
5) Check in on the details of your errors. Especially look for which particular "modules" are involved = this can narrow the suspects. Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/EventViewer. To view the details of an event, right-click and select "Properties".
6) Start & run the computer extensively in Safe Mode. Do the errors suddenly stop while in Safe Mode? (this usually points to driver troubles).

This should get you started on your trouble-shooting --- let's see what turns up. Let's see if we can get the system to run smoothly for the next four years or so, beginning on this first day of 2007.
. . . Gary

[P.S. I suppose I should include a general Stop Error TroubleShooting Guide, to give you extra information: I like Aumha's, it's pretty thorough --- http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php ]

[P.S. #2 -- almost forgot -- if the system is stable enough in Safe Mode, run some malware scans from there (and from normal mode too, if the system can run long enough for that) --- Checking on the background jobs with msconfig can help troubleshoot, too. --- Ah, and the Aumha article also recommends the Driver Verification Tool --- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244617&sd=RMVP ]

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems like a problem related to "kernel" This problem occurs only if the expression parser in the kernel reads past the end of its buffer. The "Stop" error message that you receive is a rare occurrence.
1.Do you have a dual boot OS installed? or did something related to kernel?
2.I assume you must have installed SP2, if not first thing is to do that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.