Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on the computer, mid-startup, a blue screen with the following message appears everytime:

STOP: c000026c {Unable To Load Device Driver}
\??\C:WINNT\system32\msudp4.sys device driver could not be loaded
Error Status was 0xc0000020

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows 2000 updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software, Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on
troubleshooting Stop errors.

Could someone please assist me in fixing my computer as I have no idea. The only way I can get into the desktop is in safe mode.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

These errors are really hard to run down. Have you tried the solutions that were listed in your post??? How long has this been going on??? Have you considered (if this is a recent happening) going to a restore point where the computer worked and see if that helps (like if it is software related)???

Please respond to these questions and then will try to move on to help with other possible solutions and/or troubleshooting strategies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been stuck like this for months, im using a different computer to post these messages.

I am not aware of any newly installed hardware etc. and have run several scans on the computer to try and resolve whatever the problem is.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Clear the CMOS to make sure something there is not amiss.

Start removing non-essential items from your PCI slots one at a time and then try it....then remove another.....then try it......you get the picture.

Do you have any non-essential items in your PCI slots that you could uninstall or remove? Here is what I would do if it were mine:

Do the same with non-essential software....assuming that you can get into safe mode.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for assistance but sorry I have no idea what CMOS is or how to clear it. I also have no idea what PCI slots are etc.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Let's look at the CMOS situation first. If you have the motherboard manual, there is a jumper somewhere in the middle of the motherboard that can be moved to clear the CMOS. What one does is simply move this little jumper from pins 1 and 3 to 2 and 3. Wait about ten minutes and put it back where it was. It will probably say Clear RTC Ram or CLRTC or something similar. If you can't find that jumper to clear it, then find the battery on the motherboard, take it out (watch how you take it out so you get it back in correctly), wait ten minutes, put it back and fire up your computer and see what happens.

The PCI slots are those long slots near the back of your computer that holds the cards. When something is in the PCI slots, you can connect to them via the back of the computer. For example, the modem is as a rule in a PCI slot, a sound card would be in the PCI slot, etc. Again, look at the manual if you have one.

Let us know how we can help further.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
um...thanks for the advice but it is most likely that I won't be adjusting the motherboard etc.

Is the problem resolvable with physically adjusting the computer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.