Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting this error for a while and now I'm stuck so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. Here's what happened...

A few months back I started getting a Blue Screen whilst playing WoW which used to happen once every 1-3 hours. I didn't worry too much about it as it was a known issue with the game but over time it started happening more and more frequently until I had to reformat.

After reformatting the bluescreen started appearing every 10-30 minutes, even if I left the PC alone and didn't touch it so I reformatted again.

On this reformat the disk was successfully formatted but the blue screen appeared immmediately as setup attempted to install Windows XP.

So I reformatted again but this gets the same error in the same place - just as setup goes to install WindowsXP.

The error is as follows :
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps :

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information :

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE7284AD1, 0x00000000, 0xE7284AD1, 0x00000002)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

So I looked this error up on the net and it's supposedly a memory problem.
As it's happening on install of the ops system I'm guessing that it's more likely to be RAM more than grahics

I've been in touch with DELL over this as the PC is covered by a '3 year next business day on-site warranty'.
They went through several tests which included removing all PCI cards / Siims / mouse / keyboard - everything from the motherboard then starting the PC up adding one each time and checking the green lights on the back of it. This didn't solve it.
Then they had me put the diagnostics CD in and run a series of tests from the Device Boot Menu - graphics, memory, cd, HD, etc.. These all came up clear.
Next they talked me through reformatting it (again) and it froze in the same position.

Now they've said it's not a hardware error and is software related so is not covered by my warranty so I have to pay £60 for software support.

The question is, does anyone know if this looks like a software or hardware issue?
I've reformatted a good few times now and it's still there + there's no Operating system on the disk at the moment. It's blue screening before the install starts just as it's finished loading the necessary files in memory.

Do I continue on with DELL, replace the RAM, or hand it over to PC World to fix? or is there anything I've not tried?

Thanks for the help

System :
Dell Dimension 8300
2Gb Ram
3.4 P4
256Mb ATI 9800XT
SB Live

·
Registered
30 Posts
personaly i think its down to a RAM problem, the only thing weird is that it does the blue screen at the same time each time, maby you should check the recovery media, PCW would just fit the part you want else you would have to phone up PCServieCall (place where i work) and theres an option for engineer out or to take a warrenty that will get a engineer out and also cover you for future repairs on the machine.

if you have a mate with an XP disk i would advised trying to load that disk, if that doesnt load then deffo HW fault impossible to be SW if 2 CD's fail, at end of the day DELL are a big company if you complain enough they will get it sorted otherwise giving themself a bad name and bad Customer service.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.