Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having an annoying problem here, and I can't seem to find a way to fix it...
Here's what happened:

I was booting my Dell dimension 8400 into windows xp and somewhere during the final stages (I had already logged into my account) there was a brief power failure.
When the power came back on, I booted up my computer, but at the black windows xp screen, right after the bios screen, I got the blue screen of death with the following stop code: 0x00000024.
There was no way to boot into windows (all safe mode startup options etc. led to the same blue screen). So I put in the original bootable installation cd and ran recovery console. Then I used chkdsk /r and then chkdsk /p.
This seemed to fix the problem (ie I could boot back into xp) but although everything seemed to be ok, there were weird problems. I tracked those down to almost none of the services being started and when I try starting them, I get the following error: "Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start".
So I found this article on the subject: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827328
But whenever I try to start the RPC for instance, I get the following error: "Error 5: Access is denied".
I am logged in as an administrator by the way.
And really nothing works in windows, I can't even copy files from one folder to another. I can access the internet (only through firefox, cos IE won't start at all).

Any thoughts?
Thnx,
Vincent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did, and it got me past the blue screen and back into windows. But as i wrote in my original post, it's like nothing's activated in windows and so I can use my pc but then again not really...
For instance MS word will start and so will dreamweaver and a bunch of other applications, but i keep getting error messages all over the place and many basic windows functionalities aren't working, because virtually none of the services are started. And I can't start them...

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
run
sfc /scannow
check your voltages with this
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
the power problem may have damaged your power supply dells are not the greatist to start with
d/l and run the h/drive makers diognostic utility on the h/d
if you are receiving bsod error messages post them in full

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the sfc command, but I got no messages or reports or so...
I tried running the WD diagnostics utility for my drive, but I can't install anything on my machine since the Windows Installer Service could not be accessed (o'course, it's not started, sigh).

PC wizard works fine. Lots of info there, anything specific I should be looking for?
The 'Voltage, Temperature and Fans' section only shows 2 of my 3 internal harddrives (amongst which the drive that holds the OS) and it only shows the temperature for both, but when I select one it says underneath 'No information available for this item'

V

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you are looking for the volt readings on the
12+
5v
3.3v
temps
cpu
sys
gpu
the h/d diognostic you put on disk and then boot from the disk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only values I could find are for the cpu and the harddrives:

cpu: 98C
1,6V supported voltage
HD temp WDC WD2500JD : 37C
HD temp WDC WD5000KS : 44C

I can't use hd diag because it won't install onto my hd, a cd, dvd or any other media for that matter...same issue as above mentioned

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
see what the bios lists them as
the diognostic does not install on your h/d,if you cannot d/l and save the file on your computer get a friend to d/l it and burn it to disk for you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was recently having this problem with a customer's Averatec 5110h that would give me that stop code along with some others and wouldn't let me completely install windows. The way I fixed it was I used the XP cd and I went into the recovery console and typed in "enable". That gave me a big list of crap and I scrolled down and saw NTFS and saw that it was disabled. So I did a "ntfs SERVICE_DEMAND_START" command and then rebooted and I was able to completely install windows and haven't had problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.