Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me? I have a Serial ATA hard drive in my other computer that for some reason suddenly stoped booting one day. It displays this stop error screen every time I try to boot:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902F8,0xF89B1B70,0xF89B1870,0xF81548E9)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F81548E9 base at F8145000, Datestamp 3b7dc5d0

Something similar to has this happened before. The Windows XP support site says that it is a problem that Windows XP has with Serial ATA hard drives. Apparently there is a fix for it in one of the updates for Windows XP but my other computer isn't connected to the internet at the moment. But even if it was, I can't boot the bloody thing anyway. I tried to run CHKDSK in the recovery console but it gives me the same stop error when I try to open the console. The help on the Windows XP support site is pretty much useless to me because all of the methods they suggest for fixing the problem need to be done in windows. Does anyone know of another way around the problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Question for SPEEDO

Some clarification may be needed for those of us who are not familiar with "fast repair".

I had a problem that was resolved by following your suggestion to do a fast repair, but as far as I could tell, upon booting from the XP CD, there is only one choice for repair and I would not really call it fast.

Perhaps there is some way to bypass the normal repair and do a fast repair?? The available selection of repair appeared to delete and reinstall the system files, redetect hardware, build the start menus, etc...... and took about 45 minutes. Granted, it did fix my problem, but the reference to the process as "fast repair" is a bit misleading.

Please don't take offense to this post. Just trying to clarify what you mean by "fast repair". :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
im no pro at errors but
maby MSBlaster is doing it
my friend had it and he kept getting errors

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't do a fast repair because "To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER." doesn't work. It gives me the same Bsod when I hit enter.

It wouldn't be MSBlast because my computer isn't connected to the internet. I didn't install any new programs either, I haven't for a long time.

Don't tell me I have to format without backing up my gear again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an idea, tell me if you think it might work:

1. Unplug my computer's Serial ATA hard drive.

2. Boot my computer with this computers hard drive, in Safety mode.

3. Plug in my Serial ATA hard drive (you can plug SATA drives in when windows is loaded).

4. Copy over my important files to this computers hard drive.

5. Format my hard drive in windows, using this hard drive.

6. Reinstall.

What do you think?

S

·
0 Posts
I don't really go for plugging and unplugging things with the computer turned on or even plugged in for that matter. But it's your baby if you want to give it a shot let us know how you make out...........:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.