1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am running Windows Vista.

When my Sony Vaio laptop boots up, it says:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemroot\system32\config\components

How can I fix this?

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance! I need to get this working TODAY!

Thanks!!!!!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,805 Posts
You need to install a backup copy of your Registry. The simplest method would be a System Restore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thanks alot. I tried that, but it still does the same thing. Let me tell you what happened: The laptop was dropped a few days ago, and ever since, that is the error that I get.

There are 2 restore dates on there (1/31/11 and 2/1/11). I tried both, but I still keep getting that error. What happens is you see 'starting windows' at the bottom...then the screen goes blank (black) for about 5 minutes, and then the blue screen comes up with that 'Registry File Failure' message.

Since those 2 restore dates won't work, is there any other way to fix it?

Or: If I can back up my files, I don't mind reinstalling Vista.

I have ERD commander.
1) Is there a way to repair the registry in there?
2) If there a way to load ERD Commander (with the CD), and then plug in a thumb drive in a USB port, and copy my important files to the thumb drive? I fooled with ERD Commander some, but I can't figure out how to get it to work with a thumb drive.
3) If I cant save my data to a USB drive with ERD Commander, is there any software that I can use, that I can boot from a CD, and then plug in a thumb drive and copy my data?

I know, alot of questions..I am sorry. I just NEED to get this working...we have our WEDDING pictures on there and I CANNOT lose them!!!

Please help!

Thanks again!!!
Ox

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.