Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has an E-machines, Win 98 SE computer that turns itself on at all hours of the night and day. I cannot figure out what might make this happen. Can anyone please tell tell me how to find the program or command that is causing this to happen and how to eliminate it? Thanks.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Look in the bios under power management.

Make sure that "wake up" events are disabled.
ie wake on lan, modem wake, etc...

Let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
idtent said:
Look in the bios under power management.

Make sure that "wake up" events are disabled.
ie wake on lan, modem wake, etc...

Let me know.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the BIOS under Power Management and no such options were available. Most existing options were disabled. In addition to the computer turning itself on, it sometimes has no power unless I unplug it from the wall receptacle and plug it back in. Also, it refuses to Shut Down when going through the Start > Shut Down procedure. It will continue to restart until I use the power button to shut it off.

Anyone have other ideas about getting rid of these gremlins?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You could put it on a power strip since they're pretty cheap; around $3.00 if you look in some stores

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox said:
You could put it on a power strip since they're pretty cheap; around $3.00 if you look in some stores
Thanks for your suggestion. I agree that a power strip would be a way to take care of the symptoms, however, I'm hoping to learn why the problem occurs and how to resolve the cause.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
You are up against a machine that was almost designed not to be fixed (my humble opinion only).

Automated repair is very limited here.

I would suggest that you download Hijack This from the link below. We can look at it, and at least rule out dysfunction due to invasion.

The link below is a quick start site, so it will have instructions and info for you.

Create, copy and paste a log here, and we'll see if it's something sneaky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jgvernonco said:
You are up against a machine that was almost designed not to be fixed (my humble opinion only).

Automated repair is very limited here.

I would suggest that you download Hijack This from the link below. We can look at it, and at least rule out dysfunction due to invasion.

The link below is a quick start site, so it will have instructions and info for you.

Create, copy and paste a log here, and we'll see if it's something sneaky.
Thanks so much for the great info. No luck on Finding "Hijack This" on either link. I've spent way too much time on this mission and the owners aren't much interested in spending any $$ for software or repair. I'll let it drop.

I have, however, taken the advice offered by boards.cexx.org to make my own machine more secure. For this I also thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.