Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i have an amd 64 processor, with the stock heatsink and fan, on an asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard. I'm trying to replace the heatsink and fan with an arctic cooling silencer 64. I took off the fan with the four screws, took out the metal clip, took out the 2 screws that hold this black plastic thingy on, but the big heatsink is still on. It wont budge and i can't find a screw or anything. How am I supposed to remove it? I was afraid that if i just gave it a good yank i'd destroy everything so i thought i'd ask. Plz help!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Those are very tough to get off and very easy to damage something, especially if the factory pad was used. I would recommend that you have someone take it off for you who does that a lot, but will tell you how I take them off if you (at your own risk) decide to give it a try.

What I do is take everything off including clamps etc. as you already did.......then (DO NOT JERK OR YANK ON THE THING) I grasp it on the sides with my fingers and gently but firmly try to slide it back and forth with a sideways motion corner to corner, back and forth while putting slight (hear that, slight) pressure upward and they usually loosen up and come off. If I can't slide it side to side, I would not just pull it off or you may damage something. Don't forget that you have to clean the CPU off before installing another one.

Oh, one other thing, I am running the same board with an Athlon 64 San Diego 3700+, and my temps are about 34c to 37c at-rest, and never over 50 under stress. I just didn't understand why you needed a higher powered heatsink and fan for this one since the factory job seems to work fine. Just curious, not being critical.

Wait a bit before you tackle this job and see if someone else has a better solution than what works for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the stock one because its the loudest thing in my case, Its probably decent at cooling but I'm going for a quieter PC.

someone suggested that I use a hair dryer and try to slowly move it off. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

The hair dryer might work, but I would not do that due to the intense heat that a hair dryer can produce in various spots of the blowing area. That is my personal preference and I am not going to say that it won't work. Others may use that method, so maybe someone will add that to your question.

I have never had to do that because the side by side motion while lifting slightly (kind of like twisting) that I use always works for me. What you must understand is that thermal paste or the factory pad DO NOT glue the heatsink to the cpu. They do adhere somewhat thorugh heat transfer and that makes them difficult to take them off, but they are not fastened like glue so the motion you use must break that bond usually starting on one of the corners of the heatsink. When one side comes loose, then ala, away it goes and comes off easily.

I have never broken one or failed to get one to come off, so I guess the key is to know how much pressure one can use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
okay thanks tumbleweed,
what will I need to clean off the processor? like a razor blade or some rubbing alcohol or what? I definitely want to do this right, and I don't want to mess up the processor I'm thinking I'll do it this weekend instead since the computer might be down for a while.

EDIT: wow I just decided to give it a shot and bam it came right off moving it side to side. still need some advice on how to clean it off. especially since i'm in a dorm room and the only thing i have i hydrogen peroxide. Also the heatsink came with a little black plastic piece, that had some other part screwed on to it, it looks like a plate with a space cut out for the processor. I took it off before i put it on. do I need it? maybe I should post some pictures.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
crazyclown said:
okay thanks tumbleweed,
what will I need to clean off the processor? like a razor blade or some rubbing alcohol or what? I definitely want to do this right, and I don't want to mess up the processor I'm thinking I'll do it this weekend instead since the computer might be down for a while.

EDIT: wow I just decided to give it a shot and bam it came right off moving it side to side. still need some advice on how to clean it off. especially since i'm in a dorm room and the only thing i have i hydrogen peroxide
Hi,

See how easy that was. Once you break the seal, then it is easy. O.K., so you are in a dorm, so probably not to close to a computer store.

No hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol please, oh please don't.

Remember, once you take it apart, you can not use the same thermal pad or solution that was on there. I highly recommend Artic Silver which you can find at any Best Buy or Staples, etc........... This stuff is about six bucks or so.

I would never use a razor blade because you can scratch the surface, thus creating a hot spot that may damage your processor later on. Got a popsicle stick, they do a good job of initial cleaning before you use a cleaner.

What you really need to clean it best is either a cleaner made by Artic Silver (again BEst Buy, Staples) or you can use alcohol (BUT NOT RUBBING ALCOHOL), if it is a high proof. At any drug store, you can usually buy 90+ proof alcohol and the higher the proof, the better. If you can buy one in the 94% range, that would be good, but any above 90% will work fine.

Regardless of what you use, follow these instructions for cleaning and putting back together:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

A word of caution, don't put it back together without some type of thermal solution, either a factory pad (I don't use) or Artic Silver. Don't use your bare hands to apply and spread the compound. MORE is not better when it comes to thermal paste.

There are some that don't use Artic Silver on Athlon's according to some articles that I read. This in my opinion was based upon faulty data collection that I won't go in to. All the techs in my area that I know and work with use Artic Silver to put the CPU and heatsink together. I use Artic Silver on my personal Athlon and my personal Pentium 4 and it works like a charm.

Let us know if we can help further.

Caution: Be very careful not to get any thermal solution or other thermal solutions on the pins of the processor or down on the motherboard or CPU slots or you are risking quite a bit of possible damage. Just be very careful.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I still have an active warranty on my CPU/mobo so I haven't done anything to it very much. I would like to replace the thermal pad later on with some Silver 5 but I'm unsure of how to actually apply it to an Athlon 64. On my old XPs and stuff it was easy because it was just the die and a few things around it. The 64's have this hugetastic plate covering them. I saw on one website that they made an X across it (using a P4 as an example) but I seriously doubt that would allow for enough transfer unless you have your PC located in the Arctic and underwater.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay, some guys down my hall have 70% isopropyl alcohol (w/e that is), and another guy has some 90%+ drink (don't ask why :grin: ) but anyways is 70% okay just for cleaning off the processor? why so high?

I dont have arctic silver, but the heatsink fan came with a little tube, it says "silicone paste". I know arctic silver is good, but I thought it was for like really high performance computers, and i'm not gonna overclock mine or anything, so the provided paste should be good right? Don't get me wrong, I'll do what it takes and I'm not cheap, but I'm looking for the simplest/fastest solution possible. (this is basically my only computer and until i get that heatsink in its not useable)

Edit: sorry I misread, you said 90 proof, not 90% alcohol, 70% alcohol would be like 140 proof, more than enough right?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
crazyclown said:
Okay, some guys down my hall have 70% isopropyl alcohol (w/e that is), and another guy has some 90%+ drink (don't ask why :grin: ) but anyways is 70% okay just for cleaning off the processor? why so high?

I dont have arctic silver, but the heatsink fan came with a little tube, it says "silicone paste". I know arctic silver is good, but I thought it was for like really high performance computers, and i'm not gonna overclock mine or anything, so the provided paste should be good right? Don't get me wrong, I'll do what it takes and I'm not cheap, but I'm looking for the simplest/fastest solution possible. (this is basically my only computer and until i get that heatsink in its not useable)

Edit: sorry I misread, you said 90 proof, not 90% alcohol, 70% alcohol would be like 140 proof, more than enough right?
HI,

STOP! I can't believe what I told you and when I went back that is what I said. Sorry about that!!!! You need the 90% or greater and not the 70%. What I am told is that the 70% has some base that contains a slight oil compound and that is not good for the cleaning process. Heck, just telling you what I have heard since now I only use the Artic Silver cleaner. (a side note, I have used (70%) it a couple of time several years ago when I ran out of the other and it didn't harm mine, but anymore with the high heat generated, I just would not do that again)

The "silicone paste" will do the job for you. Just be careful that you follow the EXACT instructions on how much to apply. Remember, More is NOT better! Once you put the heatsink on the CPU, don't break the seal or you will have to start over and clean it again.

So sorry about the mistake....might be time for me to hit the sack early tonight since I can't think or type straight. Have a great time and hope it goes well.

Addendum: I have a friend who says he has used "Goof Off", lighter fluid, and fingernail polish remover and he says they all work great to clean that stuff off, so what do I know anyhow. I can only advise you what I know is safe to use and for me that is either a commercial CPU cleaner like AS or 90% alcohol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help tumbleweed and ebackhaus, I really appreciate it.
One last question before I take the plunge, I know this is a tough one, but how much is that "very thin layer of paste" that they say to apply? any guidelines, tips, suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Total amount about the size of a small match head for the entire job. I don't have the Artic Silver specs right here, but I think it says something like that in the link I gave you for applying that stuff. If AS says that, it will probably be appropriate for the paste you are using.

Also, (DON'T USE YOUR BARE FINGERS, THEY HAVE GREASE OF THEM) sometimes a plastic sandwich bag will work over your fingers to apply the stuff if you don't have anything else.

Hey, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay put everything in and now when i boot bios gives an error: cpu fan failed.... YIKES!!! What does this mean? how do i fix it? did i destroy everthing... okay i'm feeling stupid

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Are you sure you have it plugged into the correct place on the motherboard? Are you sure you have snapped the heatsink clear down and it fits down real tight on the CPU? If it fits loosely, it probably will not work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, i plugged it into the same spot on the motherboard that I had the other one. it gave me the option to "press F1 to continue" and so I did it. It booted normal, and now it doesnt give that error anymore. yes I made sure it was pressed down all the way. lol tumbleweed you might as well have done this for me with all the help you've been giving me :laugh: .

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Aha, it might have been looking for your old fan....but, probably what happened is that when you connected it, maybe it didn't make good enough contact and when you gave it the old college shove, it worked.

Anyhow, glad I could help....now, I know you are busy in college, (spent half my life there in various capacities), but since you got some help, you need to stick around and help someone else from time to time. So, if you see something you know about, lend a hand to someone else on the forum. Otherwise, don't be a stranger on our forum. See you around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.