Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a windows XP computer, I wanted to try out vista so I made a new partition with a boot CD and then installed vista on that small partition but after a couple of days I booted again with the Boot CD and I deleted the small partition so now I only have XP on the computer,

But when I boot up the computer I still see the option of booting in 2 OS vista and earlier version of windows (XP) now if I click on vista, I am getting NO OS which is fine, but how can I take it down? I tried to Edit the BOOT.INI but I only see XP I don’t see any referents of vista, and I cannot use BCDEDIT.exe because I have XP so what should I do?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello deutschnaftula

Start>Run and type msconfig. On the boot.ini tab, click "Check all boot paths".

That should remove the dual boot option for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Above the button "Check all booth paths" you see a small textfield. At the bottom of that you see a header called "[operating systems]". Underneath that you probably see two bootlines. Click on the one you currently use and make it DEFAULT. Do this by clicking on "Set as default".

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my boot.ini file looks like this

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

·
Registered
22 Posts
it looks like your second bootline is already gone. What you can do and that is not the best sollution but it works, is the following work-around:

MSCONFIG then tab boot.ini

Change the timeout from 30 seconds to 0 seconds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.