In 1995 a movie called Hackers was released where some teenagers plot revenge after the main star, Crash Override, was framed for a million-dollar theft.

In today’s computing life, the movie seems quite humorous for all of their networking and computing graphics, but in one of the movie’s scenes they show somebody holding onto some handheld wireless controllers while wearing this large headset on his head.

The actor was playing a virtual reality game. This was the late 90s and the talk of such a gaming platform seemed impossible, yet they predicted something that has just now become mainstream.

Virtual reality or VR is when you enter a simulated world that is only a product of a computer program. In VR you can do anything you want to. You can simulate riding a roller coaster, play a first person shooter game, visit parts of the world that you never thought you’d be able to get to, and the experience stops when creators stop making the applications; which I don’t think will be happening anytime soon.

Two of the more popular players in the VR environment are Oculus and the HTC Vive, respectively, names you may be familiar with. However, these VR headsets come at a hefty price with the Vive costing $800, and the Oculus $600. Now, while VR seems fun and exciting I couldn’t see myself paying such a price for a plastic headset that is still limited by the number of games available.

Still wanting to be a part of the VR environment I thought I would see what is available for the casual gamer, like myself. On Amazon, I found a well-reviewed product from a well-known company, HooToo Electronics.

HooToo electronics was one of the first stars here on TSF Reviews and they are back again with their new 3D VR headset. With a very reasonable price and a lightweight body, I was excited to see what the movie Hackers predicted over 20 years ago.

Welcome to my review of the HooToo 3D Virtual Reality Headset. Throughout this review, I will be discussing the following topics: the design, functionality, and my final thoughts. A special thank you to HooToo for sending out this product.

Design

As this is a device that you will be wearing on your head and moving about in all different directions, it needs to be as light as possible.

Weighing in at 0.7 pounds, this VR headset can sometimes feel like it’s not there. The VR headset attaches to your head using a fabric elastic band that uses Velcro straps for a secure and comfortable fit. Then, resting against your face is a large breathable foam pad that's compressed for a surround fit.

One complaint of the HTC Vive is that the wire tether can drag behind you and does add some significant weight. HooToo’s device on the other hand is tether-free, battery-free, and quite frankly is just some well-constructed plastic.

Everything on this product is plastic, even down to the eye lenses. Speaking of which, each eye lens is adjustable to change focus and move laterally to ensure your eyes see right through the center of the lens.

On the left side of the headset is a horizontally sliding magnet that can help control your connected VR device if the application/phone accepts it.

Finally, the main powerhouse of this VR headset is your cell phone. The HooToo VR headset needs a compatible smartphone to work (See picture below). You rest your phone on the inside of the front lens which contains two adjustable rubber feet.

Here’s a design aspect that I greatly dislike. When I placed my smartphone, in this case my Galaxy Note 4, into the holder and then pressed the front lid closed, the foam pad and the lid itself applied great force. This is to prevent the phone from becoming loose while throwing your head in different directions.

Unfortunately, since my phone is naked on the front with no case that adds a lip to the glass, every time I closed the lid the home button was pushed up against the plastic and then pressed, which activated Google Now.

This meant I couldn’t use the nice and powerful display on my Note 4 and had to settle on either a phone with a suppressed home button or a phone with a case. Additionally, I would like to see foam/rubber added to this area to prevent my glass screen from being pushed against plastic.

Functionality

This was my first experience with a VR headset and I was quite excited. With only smartphone capability, I was somewhat limited as to what I could do and play.

Steam VR wasn’t an option, so many of those games were out. However, there is a surprising amount of VR apps on the Google Play Store to enjoy.

I first downloaded a VR roller coaster that served two purposes. I got to experience what it was like with the headset on and I was able to fine adjust the lens for a perfect view.

The roller coaster was actually quite enjoyable. You can whip your head around and actually feel like you’re riding the ride. Those who can get wheezy could actually get motion sickness by using this.

I tried multiple devices with this VR headset and what I quickly learned was that you need a device that has first, a large screen, and second, a screen with a high pixel density. Screens like a Galaxy S4 or HTC M7 aren’t as enjoyable and you can see the pixels on the display, while the S7, Galaxy Notes, and iPhones all worked like a charm.

Gaming on the VR headset was a different experience, but the limited games and lower quality mobile application graphics were what turned my smile upside down. That said, if you do find a collection of mobile VR games such as Deep Space battle, then it isn’t that bad.

Accessories for gaming are still your own bought stuff. You will need a compatible Bluetooth controller for your phone and if you don’t like the speaker on your phone, there is enough room to connect some earbuds and have the cable run out of the front.

Never did my head get sweaty or the front lens pop open to send my phone flying across the room. The functionality for what this device is is quite clever. In fact, when comparing it to the Samsung Oculus VR 1.0 headset it’s practically the same thing. The only thing the Samsung unit has going for it is that it does offer a better nose channel for breathing and the quality of the picture is slightly improved. Nonetheless, both require a smartphone and are just plastic shells.

I wasn’t the only one who used this VR headset. In fact, I had a bunch of people try this thing out. They all enjoyed the fit, comfort, and feasibility that the VR headset provided. Many saw this as a great kids’ toy.

My Final Thoughts

This is no HTC Vive and it isn’t trying to be one. My last sentence above really describes what this is, a great kids’ toy. It’s very inexpensive at only $25 and can provide some fun entertainment. Even at double this price it’s still a great device and believe it or not is then only half the price of the Samsung unit that does literately the same thing. My advice is that if you are expecting to be blown away by the VR world, then save your cash for an HTC Vive, but if you’re interested in some VR content and don’t mind free applications or want a way to keep some kids happy with hours of entertainment, for only $25 you can’t go wrong.

Buy it Now:

© 2016 Justin Vendette