Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Objective: Upgrade an 18 month old HP Pavillion/Vista machine (which may have a trojan as I'm constantly getting bounced mail error messages to addresses I don't send to) with external Seagate 1.5TB Free Agent drive none of which has been maintained or backed-up recently; to System 7 with online automatic back-up. I also want to upgrade my Office 2003 to Office 2010 at the same time. I've already purchased Windows 7 Home Premium (upgrade) and Office 2010 Home and Business. Since little maintenance has been done, I'd like to fully format both the internal and external hard drives before reinstalling the new op system, office SW and restoring the back-up data. Can anyone direct me, step-by-step, through this process? Please? Thank you! Bill

· TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,053 Posts
With only an upgrade disc, if you do have viruses then they will most likely remain. All that an upgrade does is change the operating system, and not much other than system files is changed. You'll still be living with whatever viruses you may have.

To cleanly wipe and install Windows 7, you need a full Windows 7 installation disc, not the upgrade. You could instead back your data up then restore the system to factory defaults (via the recovery partition that you should have installed) and upgrade to Windows 7 from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.