Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im using RH9 now..n trying to setting domain name by using samba..
i dunno how to get start there..ive read so much forum but nothing help me..so plz guide me by step-by-step how to create it...

im new wit linux..know nothing...just use linux bout couple of week... plz..

·
Registered
3 Posts
more info needed for samba setup in small professional office

Post more info about what you've tried so far, your hardware and your network. Its easier to help that way.

I have an office with two machines with each attached to one printer. One machine runs a linux 2.6.11 kernel with a Gnome 2.8 desktop. The other runs Windows XP Pro. The printers are both HP Laserjets (1200 series and Laserjet 4).

The ip addresses are assigned by dhcp from an Actiontec dsl modem and linsys switcher.

I've delayed attempting set up of the network because I've never done it before. My office is a law office and I live in a town where linux tech support is scarce. I'm a little gunshy to fix anything not obviously broken.

I know from other helpful folks that the group setting can be a problem. I think that NFS is needed so that the XP files can be mounted on my machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm...some1 told that easy create domain name is by using BIND..
i download it but another problem happen, with the installation...how to install?

i've tried it but after installed, no sign that BIND is installed..
some 1 plz tell me how, where to install BIND...

:4-dontkno

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, I know how to google. If you click the link, you find this:

Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.
Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use no non-standard Perl modules.

The answer is still confusing.

I did find a book by Prentice Hall on Samba that contains a terrific 8 line smb.conf sample file for a pretend office that is about the size of my office. The book is filled with examples that get steadily more complex. Its part of the Bruce Perens' Open Source Series, and its been really great though I'm new to Samba.

If anyone is trying to move their small Windows-based office to a linux office, this is the book. You can set up one linux desktop with all of the productivity apps you need and then link it to the others using Samba.

·
Banned
242 Posts
so r u creating a samba server or what? more info pls....

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
This is a fairly old thread and your topic is definitely different from the original poster's question. A new thread is a good idea here.

Also, if you mean have Webmin configure a Windows machine, the answer is probably no (Windows is very different from Unix-like operating systems). You could configure a Linux/*BSD server from a Windows machine though (since it's a web interface).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.