Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a new computer with XP preloaded. Her computer is sending her a box that says her memory is low? She has 128mb of ram?? And it is a new pc; so I would not think that it should send her this error message? I looked at the running processes and it is showing alot of stuff running. I am familiar with Win 95, 98, and Win Me; but I do not have too much experience with XP. I am just getting used to the interface; so would someone please tell me exactly what she is supposed to be running when she is up and online? Her list is very long; but I am gonna post it so you can tell me what can be taken off.
supporter 5.exe, wkdetect.exe, KBD.exe, hpsysdry.exe, nvsvc32.exe, spoolsv.exe, scvhost.exe( 4 times), local service, network, system (2 times), Isass.exe, services.exe, winlogon.exe, csrss.exe, smss.exe.
All this is in the running process box. It also tells how much each thing is pulling on her system. Some are mem. hogs, and I am not sure of what I can safely remove and where to remove it from? It is nothing like WIN ME; so I could use some guidance. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS!! I meant.....

I meant to say these things are running under Task Manager!! I am just not sure what exactly is required to run on XP. Please help if you can! THANKS!!:confused:

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Well, Im not sure the wisest thing would be to start shutting things down in XP. First of all, in my opinion, 128mb of ram is way to little for WinXP. It should be doubled. The best thing to do is run 256mb of ram because WinXP just needs that much to function smooth. 128 was hardly enough for Win98.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you list all the startup programs..
Steps:
1) Start - Run - msconfig - click on tab Startup...see which one's are checked and list them in this thread...

2) Start - Run - msconfig - click on tab Services - check HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES...then see which one's are checked...list them in this thread

Do this and will let you know what needs to be done next.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello twinkie :smile:

Her computer is sending her a box that says her memory is low
I am not surprised!
I second DJ Specs advice about the memory installed.
XP needs a minimum of 512MB RAM. You must get her to upgrade the memory.

Note
That is not a long list for Task Manager in XP. I have a lot more than that in mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.