Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just purchased & installed a router for our new laptop. since installing it, our desktop is slow starting and browsing online. the laptops that are connected to the new router work fine, but the desktop is very slow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the systems are at home. The desktop is a 3 yr. old Dell Windows XP I believe with 56K modem. Not sure of RAM. Has Most recently updated Norton Antivirus program. Router is NetGear version 3

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Are you on dial-up?

How is the desktop plugged into the router? Cat 5? Phone line?

"Netgear version 3" doesn't say much. What model is it?

Have you tried connecting the desktop to the Internet without using the router to see if the problem persists?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
comcast high speed internet. desktop is plugged into port 4. new notepad is plugged into port 1 of router. would a switch of ports make a difference?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would also make sure you thoroughly scan your system for viruses and spyware. There are a few links in my signature that you can check out if you wish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a Comcast Cable phone rep. stated that my computer was not configured properly. However, the computer was fast just prior to the router installation. No other mods were done to the desktop. My wife just switched the desktop from port 4 to port 1 and said it got a little quicker. If I take your advice and put desktop to port 2 and notepad to port 1 do you think the problem is with my comcast modem & new router?

what is your opinion on the MSCONFIG being screwd up?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
nednj36 said:
If I take your advice and put desktop to port 2 and notepad to port 1 do you think the problem is with my comcast modem & new router?
I'm assuming you have a 4-port router. The 4th port (or last port) is usually used as the uplink port. I have no idea if it makes a difference, but saving that port for last eliminates the uplink as being the problem.

nednj36 said:
what is your opinion on the MSCONFIG being screwd up?
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MSCONFIG-configuring the programs that are used on system start-up, or, eliminating programs not needed during start-up. I truly believe it's the router and it's ports because even if my system is not configured properly, the problem started as soon as we installed the router.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
to answer your previous questions:

Desktop is MS Windows XP Prof. Version 2002 with Intel Pentium III Processor. 797 Mhz, 384 MB RAM

New Wireless Router is Netgear 108 Mbps Wireless Router model WGT 624 (2.4GHz 802.11)

We re-connected desktop to poert 2 and notepad to port 1.

Browsing is still very slow

Please help

Thank you

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
See, now that gives us more to work with.

I'm willing to bet that it is a frequency problem. Try changing to a different wireless channel. I'm reading your router's manual (page 123 of 148), and it says that "it recommends that you use channel 1 to start, and then grow to use channel 6, and 11 if necessary.

I'm not sure what your default channel is, but change it to 1, see if the speed improves, if not, then change it to 6, and then to 11 if necessary.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the input. I was on the phone with NetGear for 3 hours tweaking several things and they determined it was a defective router. how do you change the channel on the router modem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all your help. I am returning the router to best buy and replacing it with a different model. my computer returned to normal speed once connected back to my HS modem. Could it be my computer or Comcast modem? Do you think I might have success if I replace with a new router and a new Comcast modem?

thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.