Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

On Thursday a bootup problem occured, where the point where the OS
should start loading, ie at the point after 'Verifying DMI Pool Data....' it
just stops and does nothing. The first time this error occured, the problem
read:
"A disk read error has occured
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."
Since then, it doesn't say anything, just stops there.

In BIOS it only picks the drives up as 127.99GB drives, even tho
it's 250GB.

What I've attempted so far:
Using another 160GB SATA drive.
Buying another motherboard, testing it, same problem.
Flashed BIOS, cleared CMOS. Erased previous DMI data.

My system specs:

GA-K8NF-9 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1024MB Corsair RAM
250GB SATA NCQ HDD
Radeon x800xl 256mb PCI-e

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im guessing it's
the RAM.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

A few things to try, go into the bios and-- activate "Load Fail-Safe Defaults"

Do you have a Windows XP install CD? If you do, start up the Recovery Console and execute the following command:
chkdsk /r

This will do a thorough scan of your drive, correcting any problems along the way. After you have finished doing that, restart your machine and see if it loads properly.

Also using the Recovery Console try fixmbr/ fixboot

Buying another motherboard, testing it, may bring you more problems, unless its the same motherboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have been through a lot of the checking so far.

I have a AMD Athlon 2600+
Win XP
I do have a maxtor drive
It's an Intel Pentium 4
Socket A/462 (I believe)
I recall seeing ASUS as well. (but from reading sites it seems there are ASUS motherboards and intel. But I have the ASUS cd for my comp. )

I've tried everything everyone has listed except for reseting the bio, or clearing any of the things in the bio or chipsets.

I removed everything except for the video card. I left one stick of ram, and then switched it to the other slot. Then tried my other stick and switched that too. I switched the cables on my harddrive. I even tried using another harddrive to boot up with that I own but I still get a disk error occured. I removed the disk drive. Although I do have a oddly working CD drive. I will try and remove that as well.

Can anyone explain how to reset bios or do any of the things necessary to perform the rest of the things I might need to do before assuming my MOBO is screwed.

Is there anything else I should try? I will try the commands in the recovery I saw, asap.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
MasterChrisWong, although your issue may be the same you need to start your own thread. This way we can focus on your problem only hoping to resolve it faster.

Thank you for your cooperation

·
Registered
43 Posts
well i just had this problem not long ago and i spent forever figuring out that my hard drive simply broke. i'm guessing that your not able to find you hard drive in your bios or in your windows setup... i finally gota new drive and it works fine. the bad thing was.. that my hardrive was a replacement 200GB seagate that i had just got replaced and happened to just be out of its 90 day warranty... also if your problem does end up being a broken hardrive and you get a new one i would suggest getting SATA, that is if your system supports it... i'm having a great time with mine. hope it helps!

·
Registered
43 Posts
im pretty sure that the 5 year warranty is only for the original drive because they told me i would have a 90 day warranty on the replacement. i'm gonna keep it anyway and maybe someday get an identical logic board and swap it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.