Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It won't startup---

my PC hangs on the Loading you personal settings screen. I can not get it to start with the "last known good config" and I can't get into the Recovery Console.

When I tried to get into the recovery console using the setup disks, after I insert disk 4 and it begins to start windows 2000, i get bluscreen'd with this:

STOP: c0000221 unknown hard error
c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll

according to This KB article the stop message indicates that the indicated file (which happens to be the ntdll.dll file as exampled in the articale) is corrupt and must be replaced. Can I just replace the file from a floppy in safe mode? Well, I guess that might work if I could get into safe mode. I just tried and have been setting here for about 30 minutes waiting for the PC to boot into safe mode with command prompt, and it hangs on the Loading your personal setting screen still. So, now, I guess I need options for getting into the harddrive to replace the file.

Could I remove the HDD, make my other the master, this one the secondary, install windows on the new HDD, boot the computer, replace the file on the old HDD, and then flop the drives back to the original setup without any ill effects?

The last thing that was done to this computer was a printer was installed, but it had already been shutdown and restarted several times with no issues. However, the other night, my wife decided to move the computer to a different room, and after she did, she fired it up. During the boot process, she moved the CPU back a little, and it lost power. The next morning I went to turn it on, and all this started happenning.

Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, I've been trying options that i listed in the first post, with no success. I copied the ntdll.dll file to the #4 floppy and deleted the old one, and even remade the startup disks with new floppies. I removed the original HDD, and made the other my master, and am still getting the same stop error. I can't even install W2K TO A NEW HD!! I have physically removed all external hard ware from the machine, with no success, and am totally stumped!!!! I'm starting to think the mother board took a dump and I need a new one.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Ok
If there are files you want to save on the Master drive you can:
1. Do as you said and do a clean install on your other drive. :sayyes:
2. Try and do a repair install on the current drive. (this is only recomended as a last resort to save files). Because nothing will work as far as installed software, it will be there but not working and it is time consuming and error ridden procedure to get it all working again.
It sounds like you do not use your spare drive much. I would recomend after you have your clean install and everything up and running. do a bootable copy of you master on to the spare drive. and disconnect it for these cases.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already tried that, and am unable to do so. It gives me the error message when I am between the disk #4 and the CD step during setup. I am trying a different power supply and ram right now. The only way I can access the HD is to make it a slave on the other PC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.