Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two days now I'm facing the following problem. I would appreciate any help.

I got spyware from a pps file the other day. I run SpyBot and AdAware and removed it (several entries). After that I ran CCleaner to cleanup the registry and then restarted my PC. When I logged in in my account, the desktop and my shortcuts load fine, the mouse pointer moves, but I can not click or start anything. Also when I move the pointer on the taskbar, the former turns to a hourglass and I can't do anything.

The only thing that works is Ctrl-Alt-Del where I don't see any application or any suspicious process running. CPU and memory usage seem fine too.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and fortunately we have my wife's account on too. Her account starts up properly and everything works fine.

Using her account, I tried diagnostic startup but still no joy. I ran Registry Mechanic to check and fix any errors on my registry. It did find some 320 problems that were fixed but I still get the same results. When I run anti-spyware I always find PSGuard.msmsgs which I delete, but then it pops up again, although I don't think this has anything to do with the whole situation, as the same entry appears at my wife's account.

I had Restore System off, so it seems a bit hopeless. If nothing can be done, I've been thinking of creating a new account, but I'm not sure how easily I can run my applications from my old account there.

I would appreciate any kind of feedback.

Thanks in advance

Kostis

P

·
0 Posts
Sooner or later the problem that you are experiencing will be with you with other accounts. Can you log on to your account in safe mode ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same happens in Safe mode. Nothing works, mouse pointer moves and turns into a hourglass over the taskbar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you either still have a spyware infection on your account, and not your wife's (that is possible), or there are some system files that got messed up in your account, however I'm thinking that isn't the case because it probably would have affected your wife's account too. I would honestly suggest booting into Safe Mode with Networking (press F8 when system boots up, before it starts loading Windows), then open up your web browser and go to http:\\housecall.antivirus.com, and run the free virus & spyware scanner on that website. It does a pretty good job and may very well find some other things that Adaware and Spybot missed. And when that is finished searching and removing any viruses/spyware it finds, go to http:\\www.bitdefender.com and click on "Scan Online" on the left side. This is another free online virus/spyware scanner. Works well too and can sometimes catch other stuff that might have been missed. I use both of those sites frequently.

After you run those, reboot and see how Windows is working then.

P

·
0 Posts
Get all your data saved. Remove your current user. With a different user name do an intensive malware check. If it is not your users conflicting settings it should be a malware issue. And after resolving this please have create system restore points that possibly may be useful in the future. For the malware search I would recommend you to clik on greyknights link below and follow the steps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all guys.

I "repaired" the windows installation from the WinXP CD and everything seems fine now. However, I will do an extensive spyware scan using the applications you mentioned to make sure. I already started backing up files and re-activated System Restore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help

Hey guys,
i am not sure if i am on the right forum on anything and if i am not please firect me to the right forum.

ok now, i am currently running windows xp media edition and everytime it starts up it always lags for about 5 min, i can access the start bar and click on a program but the program will not load up.

Then after about 5 min it loads up the application i clicked on and anything else needed on startup.

now this really pisses me off because i normally use my computer when i am in a hurry and i can't have it lagging on startup all the time.

My computer is about 1 month old and has a wireless networking which also trys to connect to stuff on startup, thats what i think is causing my lag but i am not sure because i don't iknow that much about computers.

Thanks in advance

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF

It would have been better for you to start your own thread with an informative title relating to the problem you have - it would help you get your problem sorted as other members would readily spot your issue, plus you wouldn't risk confusing someone elses thread. Some members may avoid replying to you in these circumstances.

However, as you are new here and have posted now, try a thorough scan for malware, such as:-
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also, go to start>run and type msconfig > ok and select diagnostic start-up - see if that makes any difference. If it does, you need to identify the problematic program by a process of reintroducing each background program individually.

Make sure the wireless network connection is disabled so you can test your suspicions on that one.

Lets us know how it goes.

If you need more clarification or further suggestions please start a new string.

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Didn't work

Hey sorry about posting on the wrong forum,

but thanks for your advice i tried that but found nothing, it still lags alot on startup and i don't know what to do.

I am going to start my our forum/topic or whatever it is you suggested.

Thanks alot for answering me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.