Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Jeep GC that won't start............no warning, prior trouble etc. Tried replacing the switch today & still nothing. Sounds like a relay click in the engine compartment when I turn the switch, the instrument lights and guages seem normal, but no noise from the selenoid or starter. I was able to start it jumping the selenoid though . Wadda y'all think

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Check the positive cable coming off the battery.
If there is a smaller secondary wire with a
short span,with a plug at either end,it is
a fusible link,and probably burned out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea----I saw a smaller wire w/ plug i'll check it. Wonder if there would be a secandary issue creating the problem

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Turn on your headlights and honk the horn. If you can do this, you should have enough battery power to start the car. If you still only hear a click, you either have a bad/corroded connection or possibly a faulty starter.

Use a pair of jumper cables to parallel the engine ground to the battery first and see what, if anything happens. Next use the jumper cables to parallel from the starter solenoid to the battery positive (BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!).

If either of these do not work, take a hammer to the starter motor (old trick of the trade). If the starter is bad, usually a few hard whacks with a hammer to the starter steel case with get you a few more starts out of it before you need to replace it!

JamesO

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmmm----tried running jumper from bat. to selenoid & it started, there are 2 wires going into the selenoid. The wire that is switched had no juice when a friend turned the key, so I checked the fuses in the power center under the hood and couldnt find one blown. The relays in there were the same, so I moved some non essentials over to the ignition and auto shut down relay slots---still nothing. I also charged the battery just in case (but it's an optima).

Wonder if the switch housing could be messed up somehow?? I'm pretty much stumped !!!

Oh yea-----the manual says the fusible links were replaced by relays, but the wire going to the selenoid has a plug coming out of the wire wrap that reads 5 volts continuous and nothing when the key is turned to start ??????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solenoid maybe ??? I may be thinking backwards with the wiring----does the 2nd wire (switched) send current to the solenoid to engage the starter or just open the circuit ( if the solenoid was bad then I wouldnt get any volts from the second wire when I turned the key ) ? The large primary wire going into the solenoid reads constant 12 v . Jumping the primary and secondary wires on the solenoid will start it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
May be a bad solenoid. There should be a 12Volt small wire to it along with the 2 larger wires. If that does not have 12V when switching the ignition "on" then follow the wire and look for an open or run a new 12V wire to it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If jumping the solenoid works, then the solenoid is most likely good. 12V is needed at the solenoid small wire to start the vehicle.

First thing to check is the starter safety features, such as a PRNDRL (neutral safety switch) or clutch switch if it is a manual transmission, these are most likely at fault. If you have an auto trans, try putting the vehicle and neutral and turning the key, if nothing move the gear selector while holding the key. Make sure you have the brakes applied well and nobody is near the car when doing this and you are fully in the car with the door closed, this could lead to a surprise vehicle learch!

If trying to start in neutral does not work, looking the wiring diagram over and using a Voltmeter for testing or bypassing some of the circuitry for test purposes may be in order.

JamesO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your solenoid should have a large wire from the battery on one side and a large one to the starter on the other. It will also have a smaller wire as well. This wire will have 12v on it when the key is in the start position and 0v at all other times. If you do not have this 12v in start position yuo may have a bad ignition switch or neutral safety switch. You mention that you can hear a click when you turn the key. If the click is coming fron the starter solenoid and it will turn over when you jumper the two large wires, you need to replace the solenoid or clean up the large terminals they have a tendency to get rusty from excessive heat.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyones input--good advice.

It was the engage pin on the lock cylinder that had broken off. Haynes man. said they rarely failed so I didnt pay any attn. to it, I just replaced the switch. THANK GOODNESS IT WAS SIMPLE (& I checked it before I fixed more stuff that wasn't broke) !!!!!!! I'll stop cursing Chryslers for a bit !

To quote the mechanic------"Hey man, at keay ain't turnin' quite rite, may wanna check tha cylinder

stupid
stupid
stupid

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.